MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Advice! Give it to me...

View Single Post

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Redrum
Featherweight

Redrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World RenownRedrum Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
The best thing to keep in mind is that the physical addiction should be gone within 72 hours. After 72 hours, it's all mental. You need to avoid the places that seem to give you the 'urge' the most.
I also believe that 72 hours is key to defeating an addiction in general. I was also terribly addicted to soft drinks, and I had known that I wanted to give them up entirely for some time. But how? I got to have that tasty, fizzy drink mmm. I loved soft drinks so much that, apparently, I used to drink 2 liters of it per day.

This caught up with me eventually, and I became a diabetic, the first ever in my family. Before I got that condition under control, I landed in the ICU with a real serious episode of hyperglycemia. It was during this time that I realized dietary changes must be made, including soft drinks, or I will die.

I remember speaking with the diabetic advisor one day, I said to her that I had been able to quit a number of things in my life so far, but soft drinks worried me, even more than cigarettes did. She said to me how long have you been here in the ICU, I said four days. She asked me how are you feeling without your soda, it's been four days without any, are you anxious?

I said no, and I knew right then that I was done with soft drinks forever. That was about five months ago now, and still not a single soft drink. I think that the same principle can also apply to nicotine addiction. If one can just go a short X amount of time without the substance in question and realize that the stories of withdrawl may be far fetched afterall.

What I learned in the three days that I initially quit smoking cigs and the four days that I didn't drink any soft drinks due to being in the hospital is that there was no addiction. It was just something that I had imagained in my mind and believed was real, but all I had to do was turn around and walk away.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote