Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Is there one last title run left in Matt Hughes?

4K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Not much more than a year or so ago, Matt Hughes looked done for. There were wispers of retirement, due to the fact that Hughes seemingly couldnt compete with the elite in the welterweight division. Yet he is currently riding a 3 fight win streak, and his last fight against "big dog" Hughes looked great picking up the quick submission win.
Is there one last title run left in the hall of famers ageing legs? Or have his last 3 wins come against fighters in the same boat as his.... You could argue that Renzo is past it, and that ricardo almieda isnt exactly elite. But a win against Matt Serra, and the fashion in which he beat Almieda has me wondering...

#14 ·
Just keep reading the above until it has sunk in. Hughes did his bit for MMA, and is finishing off his career with a good run. He also (incredibly) has the sense to fight at his level, unlike many many other declining fighters.

Hughes can beat some mid level WW's, some of the time. He will never ever beat someone like Fitch, GSP, Shields, or Alves again. Even his last few wins really aren't impressive at all. Grinding out a decision against an overrated lightweight like Serra? Catching a guy who is lousy at striking, who was actually outstriking him up to that point? These are not things champions or contenders do, anyone who is either of those things annihilates someone like Serra.

Hughes is doing exactly what he should do. Enjoying the twilight of his career fighting guys he has a chance of beating en route to a well deserved retirement. If he moves up even slightly in competition he gets crushed. Guys like Liddell and Crocop should take notes.

#6 ·
At this point I would love to see him take on one of three guys Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, or B.J. Penn if he can beat any one of those guys than yes he should get one last shot at the title. Then...yeah...I guess give him a shot at GSP for a fourth time.

#10 ·
I think he does..

And I have a feeling that he's working on his striking alot more than anybody knows right now..

Now he's looked good against 2 opponents back to back that that have zero to offer in the striking dept, but either way it's gotten the job done and given him confidnence in his stand up...

Give Matt Hughes dangersous standup. He'll destroy alot of UFC WWs. That really was the only hole in his game.

#11 ·
I think he does as well. People seem to overlook the fact that the only 2 fighters to beat him at WW since 2001 are BJ Penn and GSP. Matt has wins over both of them. The Alves fight was at catch weight.

#17 ·
So what's keeping him from turning around and climbing the hill again? He has submitted a guy that lots of people thought to be a beast at WW... and with relative ease. If he can outgrapple Almeida I don't think there's anyone in the division except for the top 3 or 4 guys that he's not going to be able to beat. I'm not saying he would run through everyone, but I give him a good shot against anyone not called St-Pierre.

#16 ·
I don't think he will make a run for the title. Hughes is not going to beat any of the top dogs in that division anymore. Yes he is on a 3 fight win streak, but I am not super impressed by it. He beat Matt Serra who isn't a slouch, but isn't exactly a top fighter. I was not impressed at all with his win over Renzo. I will say that I was impressed with his win over Almeida.

I think that if Hughes gets a top contender such as Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, etc... he would be beaten.

#18 ·
I have a hard time accepting he couldnt, i realize he might not be able to beat gsp anymore, but hes done it beforee. that little bit of doubt, combined with the mma sense of "anything can happen" makes it all the more worth dreaming. Hes come in looking great, shown standup, regardless of the opponents, and who knows man. i may be a bit biased but to say that he would simply be outclassed by any top contender with a loss and no win against GSP seems silly.

#19 ·
I think Matt Hughes great performance against a guy who severely underestimated him is giving him hype he isn't looking for. Hughes probably has a couple more great fights in him, but no title runs. He isn't over the hill as much as he is behind the curve. He has the old dog status so he will still catch people that think they can easily walk over him, but against game opponents like Alves (who beat him although he was overweight), Fitch, Kos, and GSP I just don't see him being up to the skill level.

Hughes was, and still is, a great fighter, but the new generation is here that raised the bar on skill level and I just don't think Hughes has improved enough to keep at their pace of growth.

#20 ·
Hughes is still a tough match for anyone. The only guy at WW to completely wall through him is GSP. I also think people look too harshly at the Serra fight. He was hurt badly from a headbutt and the punches that followed and he still came through and won. That was the only damage Serra could do. Against Almeida he started slow but it's not like he was getting hurt, once he got comfortable he dropped Almeida and almost popped his head off. Hughes has another run but we all know gsp will be the end of it. Give Hughes some credit he's still one of the best of all time

#23 ·
i think he could beat Alves if Alves doesnt come in at 400 pounds.

i dont think he can beat GSP, Fitch or Kos, they beat him at his own game and Matt of his back isnt that great.

Everybody else, i think he has a shot.

#24 ·
If Hughes had asked for the Alves rematch before I dont think the market would be there for that fight but now Id say its a good match to make and one he should win, and yes Hughes should beat Alves as long as he dosn't fall in love with his striking and takes it to the ground.

I think he makes it to a title contender fight with ease, winning that fight might be difficult but we know it wont be KOS as he's getting his beating before hand. Fitch is a possibility but I see them giving him someone newer to the UFC that they can market, John Hathaway comes to mind.

#25 ·
I don't think Kos would beat Matt. I definitely feel that Matt is the better fighter when it comes to grappling. Standing up Kos does definitely have an advantage. Fitch I guess would just dry hump him to sleep or something. So that really only gives about two guys in the division that can beat Matt, yet everyone tries to spin him as washed up

#36 ·
Way more than 2 guys can beat Hughes. GSP, Kos, Fitch, Shields, and Alves are givens. I don't know why you think Kos would get outgrappled by Hughes, I think their wrestling is about the same level but Kos is younger, stronger, faster so he has the edge there as well as a large edge standing.

Hughes stand up has improved, I'll give him that but let's not forget how bad it was. Even in it's improved state it still lags badly compared to the rest of the division. Hughes is not terrible, his win over Almeida was impressive but he is definitely not top 5 so a title shot SHOULD be out of the question. I say "should" because the UFC knows he is a draw so if he peeled off one more win it wouldn't shock me to see them give him another shot even though I think it would be a complete waste of time.

#27 ·
he's one of my favorite fighters and I would love to see him in title contention again. I think his problem is he's too predictible now. Either he stands regular to try and trade, or south paw and tries to shoot. Hands down with the exception of gsp he's the best on the ground in the division. There's never a really an easy match against him at this weight (unless you're gsp)

#28 ·
Nope.

But if gsp beats KOS I'd love to see those two fight. Or a rematch with thiago. Just so I could see matt hughes beat down again :D

#30 ·
I dunno. As badly as alves beat hughes the first time, not sure how he'd fare against him should they fight again. But however it would go I doubt it would ever touch the ground.

#31 ·
would be a good fight if Matt wants it.

I honestly found it insulting to the sport, his opponent and himself when Alves was 8 pounds overweight.

I just want him to move up to MW already and stop trying to be the biggest fish in the pond when it doesnt even help vs the wrestlers anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.