Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Kicking Miss Dizziness Method

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Fieos 
#1 ·
Everytime i miss a kick and spin around after 2 kicks i get really dizzy and light headed is there a quick way to recover

#2 ·
Don't spin. Spinning after a missed kick is the goofiest thing ever, in my opinion.

If your teacher (or you) is/are insisting that you spin around, then simply try to root briefly and get a little bend in the knees as soon as you finish your spin. Keep your head and body up straight. Breathe.

Or don't throw missing kicks consecutively.

#3 ·
I think a more important issue is the spinning itself.

Its okay to occasionally throw a kick with enough oumph to actually have to spin around to bleed off the energy of the kick. But in most cases, a kick like that shouldn't be thrown unless your opponent is already on the ropes. Throwing your whole heart and soul(and full body-weight) into a kick that you can't stop won't win the fight, it'll get you countered as you're spinning around. Throwing yourself off balance just to finish will get you finished.

Advice I can offer: Work on throwning the kick from a more rooted stance. Work on bending slightly at the knee and flexing the muscles of the planting leg, and most importantly, learn to control your own momentum. Controlling your momentum first by throwing leg kicks with the leg that's causing you trouble, then move to body kicks, then to head kicks, but focus completely on countering the rotation with the planting leg to keep yourself from spinning out of your stance. Hope I was helpful.

#4 ·
I don't know how old you are but, that is a problem that snick up on me with every year. I don't think you can train your inner ear after a certain age.

Throwing your whole heart and soul(and full body-weight) into a kick that you can't stop won't win the fight,
I have to disagree Squirrel. That is the only way to throw a kick. If you're not doing that then don't lift your foot off the ground.

#5 ·
I don't know how old you are but, that is a problem that snick up on me with every year. I don't think you can train your inner ear after a certain age.

I have to disagree Squirrel. That is the only way to throw a kick. If you're not doing that then don't lift your foot off the ground.
So you should throw every inch of your body into a leg kick or body kick? You should throw wild kicks unintelligently just to throw with power. Timing and set up make a kick, and attacking precisely and with control are far more important than attacking powerfully.

#11 ·
MT classes teach and practice the spin recover after a missed kick. Thats the big diff between a karate kick and a MT kick. The karate kick is done with the leg powering the kick and MT is done with the rotation of the front leg, hips and torso to whip the leg. This may seem inefficient, however the MT kick is potentially devastating and when done correctly no can defend.

#12 ·
MT classes teach and practice the spin recover after a missed kick. Thats the big diff between a karate kick and a MT kick. The karate kick is done with the leg powering the kick and MT is done with the rotation of the front leg, hips and torso to whip the leg. This may seem inefficient, however the MT kick is potentially devastating and when done correctly no can defend.
Bold 1: Actually the biggest difference is the set up. With the "Karate Style" the front foot rotates at the same time the torso/pelvis. While with the "Muay Thai Style" The foot is rotated in advance, that is where the added power comes from. When the foot is able to plant in advance, there can be a more predominant weight shift behind the kick instead of as part of the entire motion. And its not inefficient at all, as you implied, its actually a more efficent way to transfer energy, however its slower and because of the additional weight in the kick, and in some cases the body is forced to spin to bleed of the excess the leg muscles cannot counter. These are cases where this style is flawed.

Bold 2: That's not Muay Thai, its basic roundhouse kick form.

#13 ·
Let's not bother getting into 'this is how this is different from that' or 'this is why this is better than that'. The question is about the issue a Thai boxer is having when he misses his kick. If the art is teaching him to spin around to bleed off the excess energy, that's one thing and that's fine. But the problem is that he's throwing missing kicks so close together that he's getting dizzy, which is where the real danger lies. It's one thing to spin around, another to get unfocused or offbalance.

Sounds to me like the kicks just need to be played more when it's a sure thing, and less as a, "eh, why not?" type of thing. Thoughts?

-North

#20 ·
instead of spinning, try planting your foot about 90 degrees through the spin, ending up with that foot in front, then lift it up so your knee/shin is covering your stomach and put your hands up to cover your face and spin back into your original stance, hopefully it'll get rid of some of the dizziness.

#21 ·
You can train your inner ear to become more tollerant of spins. I'm 35 years old doing full front tucks and working on a cork screw without getting dizzy. Yes, when I first started I got dizzy, but I pushed my self to the limit regularly and my limit has grown greatly.

As for how not to spin goes it all comes down to leg, back, and core strength. For every muscle that moves a joint in one direction, another muscle moves it in the other direction. The opposite direction may need work. As far as technique goes, I think a video would be needed before any critique can be given. Sometimes extremely small adjustments can make all the difference in the world. Also out of these people who claim that every kick needs to be thrown at 100%, how many of them have shattered their foot when hitting a knee cap? Or if you think all your kicks should be thrown making contact with the ball of your foot how many toes have you broken?

I have TKD training and no I have not trained in MT. Every round kick, side kick, and hook kick I have thrown required the base foots toes to be pointing between 135 and 180 degrees from the target. Depending on the situation I may plant my base foot at some angle before starting to throw the kick or pivot on the ball of the foot from a more neutral position as I throw the kick. The big thing is how much warning do I want to give my opponent? Also for how long can I risk keeping my base leg knee vulnerable to a push kick?

#22 ·
Every style needs to be adjusted to work in MMA. Regardless of the style you use, don't spin around You get the slighted bit predictable with that and you are done in a fight.

Spinning is for stand-up fighting only and spinning is meant to be a controlled movement in every style.

Well, except maybe Flailing Monkey... but those guys.... those guys....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.