Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Seoul Final 16

16K views 100 replies 35 participants last post by  osmium 
#1 ·
Date October 02, 2010
Venue Olympic Gymnastics Arena
City South Korea Seoul, Republic of Korea

Participating Fighters

* Semmy Schilt (K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Final Champion)
* Alistair Overeem (2009 Grand Prix Semi Finalist)
* Jerome Le Banner (2009 Grand Prix Quarter Finalist)
* Errol Zimmerman (2009 Grand Prix Quarter Finalist)
* Ray Sefo (replacement fighter)
* Ewerton Teixeira (2009 Grand Prix Quarter Finalist)
* Keijiro 'Kyotaro' Maeda (K-1 Heavyweight Champion)
* Freddy Kemayo (K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Bucharest Champion)
* Ben Edwards (K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Canberra Champion)
* Peter Aerts (Wild Card)
* Daniel Ghiţă (Wild Card)
* Gökhan Saki (Wild Card)
* Tyrone Spong (Wild Card)
* Hesdy Gerges (Wild Card)
* Mighty Mo (Wild Card)
* Raul Catinas
Final 16 Fights confirmed by K-1:

Semmy Schilt v. Hesdy Gerges
Ewerton Teixeira v. Peter Aerts
Errol Zimmerman v. Daniel Ghita
Gokhan Saki v. Freddy Kemayo
Ray Sefo v. Tyrone Spong
Mighty Mo v. Raul Catinas
Alistair Overeem v. Ben Edwards
Kyotaro Maeda v. Jerome Le Banner

K-1 Super Fights:

Sergei Kharitonov vs Takumi Sato
Chalid "Die Faust" Arrab vs Dzevad Poturak
Min Ho Song v. Hyun Man Myung
Link

See less See more
#38 ·
Sato did not exactly seem to belong in there with Kharitonov, thankfully the Final 16 are coming up next.

Spong moves on to the final beating Sugar Ray Sefo with ease, Ray did not have as much notice of course. Was funny watching him throw those taunts at Spong even as he was eating those right crosses and leg kicks.

#56 ·

dunno why embed doesnt worl heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxB2N_xZNMg
Edwards in exciting. I liked the fact he brought the fight to Overeem a bit at the beggining, and din't run away like a scared chicken. Love Overeem's guard, the way he blocked Edwards's shots.
The Reem is a monster.
And i LOL'd so hard at the commentator: "UBER KNEE!!!...UBER KNEE!!!" at the 2:10 mark. :thumb02:

Ben Edwards menatally tapped out at the staredown and you can tell the Reem knows it by the way he nods his head at him, Ben is staring at him his face "saying dude please don't kill me, I am about to piss myself" The Reem's face is saying "I know, I know.",
Precious! :thumb02:

#50 · (Edited)
Really weak field this year without Remy and Badr. Overeem and Semmy are going to walk through everyone to the finals. Saki looked great but he isn't a heavyweight and can't compete with the elite monsters.

I thought texeira won the fight within 3 rounds and that the extension round should have been a draw. Sucks to see shitty old fighters like Mo and Aerts in this thing.

#54 ·
Really weak field this year without Remy and Badr. Overeem and Semmy are going to walk through everyone to the finals. Saki looked great but he isn't a heavyweight and can't copete with the elite monsters.

I thought texeira won the fight within 3 rounds and that the extension round should have been a draw. Sucks to see shitty old fighters like Mo and Aerts in this thing.
I wouldn't call Aerts and Mo shitty, but I see what you mean. I would much rather see them fight superfights than seeing them compete in the tournament. Fresh blood would have been better, IMO, but it is what it is.

JLB was ridiculous last night. He has lost me as a long time fan with his immature gimmicks.He seemed to be in better shape than he has been in years and he blew it all with his male pms. Especially since he was competing in the tournament, such behaviour is unacceptable and he should be penalized for it. If a fighter, who is considered to be one of the legends in the sport, can't have enough self discipline to respect an official decision, then he has no place to compete. Huge disappointment.

My highlights in this event include my countryman, Ghita, whose performance and growth as a fighter impressed me greatly. Will he win this? I don't think so, but it would be nice. Kyotaro also came out as a more mature and technical fighter and it was good to see him confirm the fact that he has a great chin, which should help him get forward in the competition.

#55 ·
Ben Edwards menatally tapped out at the staredown and you can tell the Reem knows it by the way he nods his head at him, Ben is staring at him his face "saying dude please don't kill me, I am about to piss myself" The Reem's face is saying "I know, I know.",

#61 · (Edited)
I'd imagine JDS would work his TDs hugely if he fought Overeem cos in a pure K1 fight Overeem would kill all the top UFC HWs the only guy who could possibly hang with him is Pat Barry and i wouldn't fancy his chance either.

Edit: Also i'm pretty sure Overeem has muscles that dont actually exist! No way that guy aint roiding!

#66 ·
No, he would not. He might destroy Brock but JDS, Cain and Carwin would murder Overeem standing. I still don't get why anyone thinks Overeem is some awesome K-1 striker when his only claim to fame is a fluke KO over Hari. Hari kicked his ass in their rematch.

Then comparing Ben Edwards to JDS? You've got to me kidding me...

#65 · (Edited)
He only weighed in at 242 in this fight too. He was 250-something when he faced Rodgers.

Man I don't think you would ever need to question Brock Lesnar with the kind of physique Ubereem has. All he did was push Rodgers in the shoulder and he flew like 10 feet O_O.

You see overeem thought about doing the Muay Thai clinched and stopped? That's illegal in K-1. In fact Overeem was the one that forced the rule change because he was killing guys with his knees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.