MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - North's Log

Thread: North's Log
View Single Post

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
North
Amatuer

North will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enough
Saturday I didn't do much except lifted. Did military press, bench press, and skullcrushers. I think that was all. Weights/reps were up, as I recall. Ate well enough until evening. At which point some friends and I hung out at a local festival, then we went back to someone's house and I got fairly smashed. But not without stopping for a couple burgers on the way. Ladyfriend kind of tore my heart out a bit and spat on it, so I got pretty smashed and smoked maybe half a pack of smokes. Lifting went well though. I maxed out on bench at 165lbs, but made two attempts at 175lbs that were very nearly up.

Sunday is my day of rest anyway, but I also ate fairly poorly, trying to relieve my hangover. Stretched before bed.

Monday. I ran, 1.5 miles. I jogged most, sprinted a little, walked some. Lifted, did legs; squats, standing calf raises (bw+90lbs), reverse lunges, leg extensions, leg curls. Hit the heavy bag a very little bit I think, nothing worthwhile. Did 5 sets of 20 situps. Felt good man.

Tuesday. Lifted, did back/biceps, pull; deadlifts, bent over rows, shoulder shrugs, preacher curl, seated incline dumbbell curl, barbell curl. I think weight may have gone up on some of the bicep stuff, reps went up on deadlifts (300lbs, 4/4/3 as opposed to last week's 3/3/1 iirc). Did bent over rows at 135lbs, reps were 4/4/4, should've just did trap pull since my form was all slop on the rows. Worked out with a friend, doing the same head movement drill as last time, worked on kick avoidance/mitigation, practiced my kicks, did some freestyle takedown practice, and I got to practice sprawls. I think I'm better as a total package - when he also has to worry about my fists and my feet, I think I might be able to get in more takedowns. We'll see. Felt really good knocking out those deadlifts earlier though.

Wednesday. Lifted, chest/tricep, press. Did flat bench, incline barbell bench, dumbbell shoulder press, skullcrushers, and backwards tricep extensions (???). I'm not sure what to call them, but you're bent over and holding a dumbbell, and just extend your arm straight along the side of your body. I also did dumbbell lat raises, since I didn't feel like I hit my lats yesterday the way I wanted to. Everything felt good. Flat bench, I did 135lbs for 10/8, then did 145lbs for 6, which is not only a rep increase, it's a weight increase. The extensions were new so I did a little bit of low weight, but they were good for really burning my triceps out on. Had never done shoulder press with dumbbells either, so my weights were a little low but now that I'm more familiar, it should be better next time.

Have been taking the mass builder every morning that I lift. I haven't been taking the whey protein because honestly, it's just so gross, man. I know I should really take it, but maaan, it's honestly hard for me to stomach that shit.

I weighed myself Monday, expecting to see at least a few pounds of gain. Ended up weighing about five pounds less than I did when I started my "bulking" cycle, and as of today I'm another half a pound down. I try to lose weight, and I maintain or gain. I try to gain, and I lose. This shit is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

All in all, I feel a lot stronger, and faster. And I feel like my technique is getting played out more smoothly because of that.

I've picked up on a few things I need to work on though. My left hand is a little low, or at least lower than I'd like it to be. My right hand drops to my hip occasionally when I go for a right hook, just because I like to power that bad boy up. I also need to drive through on my takedowns, and commit way more than I am now. I've known I need to drive more on my takedowns, but the thought escaped me on Tuesday; I'll remember it for next time. Also when sweeping/throwing, underhooks are your friend - but there's something about sticking my biceps in another dude's armpits that I seem to take subconcsious issue with.

That's all for now, I guess.

-North
North is offline   Reply With Quote