MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - STRIKEFORCE VS BELLATOR event New Years Day???

View Single Post

Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
_RIVAL_
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum_RIVAL_ Lord of The Forum
STRIKEFORCE VS BELLATOR event New Years Day???

Quote:
Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney is a guy who’s not afraid to think outside the box, and one of the ideas he’s on board with has the ring of genius about it.
A Bellator vs. Strikeforce New Year’s Eve event.
I like it.
Scratch that, I love it.
The Bellator honcho, known for his fast-and-loose conception of what MMA should be, has been pushing the idea for months but he’s getting no love from Strikeforce for what is surely the most brilliant promotional concept in quite some time.
If you want to run with the big dogs (read the UFC and Zuffa), you have to be willing to climb in the ring, and Scott Coker would do well to sign up for the idea.
Imagine, if you will, a card which includes Gilbert Melendez, Eddie Alvarez, Roger Huerta, Dan Henderson, Hector Lombard and a cast of others. That’s the kind of event which would get any MMA fan foaming at the mouth, and it would serve an additional purpose. It would be a clear announcement that both Strikeforce and Bellator are willing to play on the main stage, and that’s great for the fans, fighters and the sport of MMA in general.
Fighters have known it since the dawn of time immemorial; to be the best, you have to beat the best, and this kind of event wouldl generate the kind of monstrous buzz that has solely been the province of the UFC up until now. The resulting shockwave – should Bellator, Strikeforce and their television partners have the foresight to make it happen – would have repercussions far outside the event itself and would go a long way to taking MMA further into the consciousness of mainstream sports fans.
Eddie Alvarez likes the idea, and he gave Scott Coker a piece of his mind on that topic:
“Scott, It seems as though your lightweight champion keeps on calling me out on every interview and I have no problem with that. I’ve never said anything about the kid and I would never say anything at all. Never even approached anybody about fighting Gilbert Melendez. He just doesn’t shut up, every other interview he’s talking about fighting me ‘Oh I want to fight Eddie Alvarez, I want to fight Eddie Alvarez’ and it really makes me look bad because I see it [the interview] the next day later. So Bjorn says it’s OK, I say it’s OK, Gilbert is telling the world that he wants to fight me. I assume you’re the only one left to agree.”
Source....http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/10/...new-years-day/

Scott Cokers response to Eddie Alvarez.....

Quote:
"First of all, I have tremendous respect for you. I think you're a great fighter, great champion of Bellator and I followed your career over in Japan when you were fighting over there and these things are sometimes a little complicated. It's not just the fight, of course we would love to make the fight, but there's so many details to be worked out between the promotions to make it happen. Bjorn did call me and I did talk to him and this was probably two months ago. I said look, Gilbert has a broken hand at the time so let's just table this until the future, but after the KJ Noons/Nick Diaz fight, we can readdress this. We've been open to co-promotions with every league so that's not the issue. The issue is how does it work on a business level between our two leagues and if we can work that out, we would love to have it."
source....http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...id=36:fighters

Please MMA gods if you ever listen to a single prayer that I send your way.....
_RIVAL_ is offline   Reply With Quote