Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Strikeforce: Diaz vs Noons 2

16K views 265 replies 56 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Date: Oct 09, 2010 10 PM EDT
Venue: HP Pavilion
Broadcast: Showtime​

MAIN CARD

* Champ Nick Diaz vs. K.J. Noons (for welterweight title)
* Champ Sarah Kaufman vs. Marloes Coenen (for female 135-pound title)
* Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. Josh Thomson
* Andre Galvao vs. Tyron Woodley

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Bret Bergmark vs. James Terry
* Ron Keslar vs. Eric Lawson
* Jess Bouscal vs. Luis Mendoza
As expected Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz (22-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) and K.J. Noons (10-2 MMA, 2-0 SF) will fight at an Oct. 9 event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz today confirmed with the championship bout with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said it'll serve as the night's main event.

The rematch, which is three years in the making, airs as part of the night's Showtime broadcast.

Tickets for the event, which features a co-headliner between Strikeforce women's welterweight champion Sarah Kaufman and challenger Marloes Coenen, are now on sale for Strikeforce Insiders.

Earlier today, MMAjunkie.com reported that Diaz vs. Noons was in the process of being finalized. Noons got the slot after middleweight Jason "Mayhem" Miller, welterweight Joe Riggs and a possibly soon-to-depart Jay Hieron were ruled out as potential opponents.

Noons set up the title fight after scoring a second-round TKO of Jorge Gurgel this past weekend at "Strikeforce: Houston." The victory was Noons' sixth straight going back to 2007, the year he upset Nick Diaz at "EliteXC: Renegade." Noons, who's also a professional boxer, battered Diaz and opened numerous facial cuts, which promoted a ringside physician to halt the bout after the first round.

EliteXC officials never were able to book the rematch, partially due to a contract dispute between Noons and the now-defunct promotion. But when Noons signed with Strikefore earlier this year, the wheels were set in motion.

However, that didn't keep Diaz from confronting Noons at a June 2008 event in Hawaii, when both fighters registered winners against separate fighters.

"Nick has no class, he's a bum, a piece of [expletive], and he and his team disrespected my family and I with their gestures and trash talk and tried to upstage my fight,'' stated Noons, whose camp nearly came to blows with Diaz's.

Since joining Strikeforce, Noons defeated Conor Heun (split decision) and Gurgel at lightweight and now moves up to welterweight to take on Diaz.

Diaz brings a seven-fight win streak of his own into the fight. After Strikeforce victories over Frank Shamrock (179 pounds), Scott Smith (180 pounds) and Marius Zaromskis (for the welterweight title), he went to Japan and submitted Hayato Sakurai at May's DREAM.14 event. Diaz, whose suspension due to his role in April's CBS-televised Strikeforce brawl will end by Oct. 9, now looks for his 12th win in 13 fights.
Link

Sarah Kaufman on being a female MMA fighter in Canada:

I would assume that everyone reading this is likely a MMA fan based on the fact that you are on a MMA website; however, it shocks me when I come across people (and I find them surprisingly often) who have heard of the UFC but NOT MMA. Doesn’t that seem insane?!? It’s the equivalent of knowing the NBA but not knowing that the sport is baseball…er basketball.

Even with highlights being shown on Sports Center and ESPN on a more regular basis, people are unaware of what a great sport MMA is. I’ll have people ask what I do and when I say, “I’m a professional MMA fighter,” I’ll often get a strange look. (Although the look could partially be due to the fact that I’m a female and I just said I’m a fighter.)

Often times, I can tell the look is of confusion, like in their head they’re thinking, “What the $&#^ is MMA?”

I try and explain it to them, “Well it is a mix of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, grappling…where you fight standing or on the floor.”

Maybe I get a head nod, but normally they are still trying to figure out what I’m describing. Finally, I’ll resort to, “Have you seen the UFC?”

“Yea I’ve heard of/ seen that.”

My final response, “Well that’s MMA.”
Link

#3 ·
Nick Diaz vs TBA

Who we thinking for possible opponents then?
I had hoped for Paul Daley but hes fighting for Sharks fights the month before so that may be one for the future.
A rematch with Scott Smith is a possiblity, he fought 3 months ago and is possibly moving down.

Who you guys thinking/hoping?

#5 ·
If TBA brings his A game I think he should be able to take him down and ride out a decision.

Seriously though he should fight Noons.

#9 ·
that tba is a real up and comer, if i were nick id be worried about this guy

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nick Diaz vs KJ Noons Rematch On Oct. Strikeforce Event

Nick Diaz and KJ Noons Verbally Agreed To A Rematch On October Strikeforce Event | Steve Rattlesnake

From GracieFighter:

It seems as if the long awaited rematch between Nick Diaz and K.J. Noons will finally come to fruition. The 2 fighters have both verbally agreed to fight on the October 9th Strikeforce show in San Jose, California.

Their first encounter ended in a tko victory for Noons when the ring doctor stopped the fight due to cuts. At the time Diaz suffered from sharp ocular bones that were a constant source of cuts and threatened to sideline his MMA career. Diaz has since undergone facial surgery to file his ocular bones.

The rematch was twice set by EliteXC, however both bouts were nixed when Noons refused due to contractual disputes. Diaz subsequently moved up to welterweight and became the Strikeforce Champion. Noons has increasingly found it difficult to make lightweight, having missed weight twice this year. Noons will now move to welterweight to challenge Diaz for his Champonship Belt.

#34 ·
I agree, Nick just needs and wants to prove himself for a while then he will take him down with success and sub him....it's MMA:thumbsup:

My thoughts are this,

Nick wont cut so easy this fight.

He also wont be underestimating Noons, I think part of KJ's success was Nick came in unprepared for a real test, win or lose there wont be any wiggle room for the defeated fighter.

Nick is about as hard to KO as they come, I dont see any way Noons can finish this, he might be able to ride out a decision win but thats the only way I see him winning.

I see Nick keeping that fast pace, this is a five round fight and I see him drowning KJ in the later rounds.

This is one of those fights that the number of rounds could influence the winner IMO a 3 round fight is beneficial for KJ and his stand up and increases his chances at a win especially with Nicks ego, but in a 5 round fight Nick has time to set him up and take him down.

Nick should and could win this fight very easily but if he lets himself get bated into a boxing match he could very well get outpointed and lose a decision.

Bottom line I dont see anyway KJ can take this fight from Diaz, its Nicks fight to win or lose.
Agreed again and great post in terms of elaboration....:thumbsup:

I don't see how KJ could lose this fight! He's far ahead in the standup and has good enough TDD/Sub Defense.

He will either KO Nick, cause Nick always let's himself open. And KJ has the power to capitalize on that opening.

Diaz needs to Take him down every second he gets otherwise I don't see any other outcome then a clean victory from Noons.
It's called BJJ and I'm dissapointed....:(

He didn't??

Of course did Nick tried to take him down in the first fight. He knew, if he would continue on the feet he would get Knocked Out. He even succeeded ones.. but failed in most attempts.

KJ already showed amazing TDD in this fight.

I just don't believe Nicks Wrestling is better then KJ's TDD. And even if he get's him down, just take a look back and watch again how easily KJ was able to stand up again.
Nick got sucked into a boxing match with a boxer....simply put. He will not fight this fight the same way even though he will stand and trade, why not out box the boxer with you reach and fixed face??? Either way, Diaz by Sub in whatever round he decides the only way to win is sub...:thumbsup:

BadBoy Baby....

#23 ·
My thoughts are this,

Nick wont cut so easy this fight.

He also wont be underestimating Noons, I think part of KJ's success was Nick came in unprepared for a real test, win or lose there wont be any wiggle room for the defeated fighter.

Nick is about as hard to KO as they come, I dont see any way Noons can finish this, he might be able to ride out a decision win but thats the only way I see him winning.

I see Nick keeping that fast pace, this is a five round fight and I see him drowning KJ in the later rounds.

This is one of those fights that the number of rounds could influence the winner IMO a 3 round fight is beneficial for KJ and his stand up and increases his chances at a win especially with Nicks ego, but in a 5 round fight Nick has time to set him up and take him down.

Nick should and could win this fight very easily but if he lets himself get bated into a boxing match he could very well get outpointed and lose a decision.

Bottom line I dont see anyway KJ can take this fight from Diaz, its Nicks fight to win or lose.

#27 ·
I don't see how KJ could lose this fight! He's far ahead in the standup and has good enough TDD/Sub Defense.

He will either KO Nick, cause Nick always let's himself open. And KJ has the power to capitalize on that opening.

Diaz needs to Take him down every second he gets otherwise I don't see any other outcome then a clean victory from Noons.

#28 ·
Agreed Bobby. This is noons fight. He has the crisper boxing and he has more power in his hands than Nick. Diaz doesnt have the wrestling to take noons down and keep him there.

Noons via tko in the second or third.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.