Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young HW prospect who I expect to be the #1 HW in the world

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  ZeroPRIDE 
#1 ·
Cain Velasquez from ATT is a two time All American wrestler at ASU he is 2-0 in MMA fighting in two major orgs (Strikeforce, and Bodog). He completly trashed a Divison 2 National Champion names Jerimiah Constant who trains at Team Quest and I think he is going to do huge things in MMA.

He has shown good striking and a solid ground game in his fights even though they haven't made it out of the first round and in the HW divison which lacks big strong wrestlers at 245 I think he will make a bigger impact than Lesnar.

Here's his fight with Constant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBdpxNblMQ

Here are his wrestling credentials
http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/champions/?names&wrestler=12087

#2 ·
Bold prediction, I hope he continues to improve at the pace that he has been, then maybe you are right. But to be the number 1 in the world when you start striking at 24, he's going to be at a big disadvantage against the guys who are going to come in soon that have been doing all aspects off the game since like 12.

He's obviously very talented for sure.
I hope you are right he looks like an exciting fighter who could become very well rounded. Any idea on his next fight or anything??

#4 ·
And while you are right it is a bold prediction a guy who can take strikers down and who can keep off the ground against Submission guys will have a huge advantage in the HW divison since guys like Nogueira, Werdum, and Mir get by with less than great Takedowns and guys like Sylvia, Kongo, and Aleks E. get by with less than great TDD.

#5 ·
Bold prediction indeed. That fight was somewhat hard to watch though. I felt like I was watching a college wrestling match more than an MMA fight. So many shots and both guys getting behind the other while still on their knees, plus all the rolls.

One thing I was upset with about velasquez was that he never threw his legs in when he had constant's back. I felt like since he was a wrestler, that is absolutely something he must do to maintain control. Right now, he looks OK with a TON of work to do to treat the fights less like a wrestling match and more like a MMA fight.

#6 ·
True but it should be noted that his opponent wasn't giving him much and the ref was allowing him to lie there and do nothing but take punches.

#7 ·
Also true. I think once velasquez can be more "mma" and less "wrestling," he'll definitely be a dominate force in MMA. I wrestled in high school so when I was watching this, I was like, "hey, thats not mma!" haha. But either way, he has talent and does indeed have potential to great things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.