MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Breaking into M.M.A. Training Log

View Single Post

Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #803 (permalink)
illmatic
Featherweight

illmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of lightillmatic is a glorious beacon of light
Advanced Gi

Warmup, techinque was attacking the turtle right into a bow and arrow choke. From hip control, feed the lapel to the other hand and grip under the neck. I was for some reason having problems getting the hang of which hand grips the collar, so what I ended up doing is just pinching both of the collars at this step and letting go of the one I don't need later. Once the collar is gripped, come to a low stand, stepping over their back and putting that one hook in, rolling yourself to the side and thus them with you. Throw your leg over their arm and extend to complete the Bow and Arrow. A detail Bibi added in later was to use your free hand to scoop their leg, giving you a much easier transition and convincing chokes.

Rolling. Phew. I don't know what the hell happened today, but I did not feel on my game. Rolled Raj, a quickly improving guy that I worked with a year or so again when he was starting. Now he's coming out to Langley with me. We had lots of back and forth. I was having some specific troubles passing his half guard and keeping him in my half guard. Today I was finding the reverse sit pass to be working for everyone against me but not working for me against others. Frustrating. I rolled him two round and expended alot of energy, but did manage to get a tap with an arm triangle. Also had a couple nice but unfortunately too loose armbar attempts, one that turned into a triangle, into a sweep into mounted triangle then transitioned for the armbar. I also went for a knee bar before the gym owner, a near black belt that I won't get into the details, but shouldn't be messed with, asked me if I thought I was a brown belt. "Nope, just practicing" Yikes, went back to it. Kajan told me to roll with the big brown belt instructor, I think he said his name is Omni or Amni, must have been 230lbs and everyone was watching me. Being exhausted and not exactly feeling it, I sat in his guard working to pass for quite some time with him attempting sweeps that I'd barely stuff. He finally got a sweep and was sitting on me when the round ended. Then I got a white belt that I haven't rolled before, but looked pretty harmless. He was on my ass. Oh man, I haven't been handled by a white belt like that in as long as I can remember. No submissions, but he was all over me, with most of my time spent in turtle or bottom half guard clinging on for life. When people get beat by a lower ranking opponent they'll often compliment you for your "strength" or "athletic ability" as a sort of backhanded compliment to redeem why they lost. This guy didn't seem stronger, faster, bigger, I just had nothing for him. Will be looking for him next class, though. Then class ended and I was happy to escaped with nothing hurting but my ego, but Rob asked me to do another round. To be honest, I thought he was looking to make a point with me because he saw me going for a kneebar on my friend. I figured I was going to get taught a lesson. However, it was pretty chill, I worked my passes calmly, we battled in half guard most of the round, then he managed to sneak out the back door and sweep me. I battled to defend for awhile, sitting up as he tried an armbar, we scrambled and he got ahold of an ankle and did some sort of heel hook on me, tapped pretty fast and that was that. I feel like I got hit by a train today and only trained an hour.

Talked to Kajan about the fight again, they're trying to bring it down to 185, because, as he said, they're "scared". I told him I could do 185 if I had to but it's going to be a challenge. He said he wanted it at 190 for me too, so we'll see what plays out.

Kajan flys out tomorrow to Edmonton. Kajan Johnson (17-11-1) vs Ryan Healy (19-8-1)

This is a big fight for him, coming off a loss that interrupted something like a 6 fight win streak that had him on the brink of making it onto a bigger show. He's had a long layoff but has been working his ass off, including a productive trip to Vegas to train with UFC fighters in Extreme Couture. His opponent was a Brazilian guy, but has been swapped for Ryan Healy, who has made appearances on Strikeforce and WEC. So this is a very important fight, I just have to find out how I can watch this fight! It will be an oganization called MFC, this friday on HD NET for anyone richer than me with all the specialty channels. WATCH IT!

Checked my weight on the scale I'm sticking with now. Last a month or two ago it was 202lbs and 10.6% bodyfat, today I was 204 and 11.1% bodyfat. Time to get those numbers down!
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote