MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Effective way to harden shins?

View Single Post

Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
My theory on this subject is that induing the most trauma possible, with the most effective recovery time, is the best option. I've found Option 2, followed by 2-3 days were needed in the beginning for the Edemas to decrease in size and for the bruises to heal sufficiently enough for me to continue conditioning. The more trauma you can indue the more quickly the nerves will die and the body will adapt.
Caution! That kind of approach can backfire very badly. Trauma on the periosteum can lead to chronic periostitis which would make the shin even more sensitive to pain. I've known people who couldn't train for months because the slightest contact induced severe pain due to the priostitis.

One also does not want to deaden the nerves. It's a very bad feeling if an area of the body gets numb, and that's what will happen if the nerves "die". With dead nerves there is also the danger that one won't be aware anymore of damage the body takes at that area and doesn't treat it correctly (that's one reason why people with leprosy often get crippled extremities, the nerves die due to the desease and they don't feel any damage to the body).

Last thing to mention: Kicking an immovable hard object is also a very bad idea. The physical energy of the kick has to go somewhere. If it cannot be kept as kinetic energy due to an impulse to another object that starts to move (heavy bag) it will be transformed to deformation energy, usually at the weakest point which is the knee. In short: the knee get's damaged. And that's a joint that does not easily heal. So kicking a tree or something like that will on the long run leave a great probability of ending up as a cripple.

So what to do┐ Kicking the heavy bag and checking the trainingspartner's kicks in sparring is fine (although I advocate deflecting kicks the Kyokushin way over checking them like in Muay Thai). The ability of taking pain is in first place a thing of mind. It will take some time, but after a year of good training one should be able to deal with most of the pain that may happen in a fight. Every attempt to take a short cut will only ruin the body.
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote