MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Most effective form of striking

View Single Post

Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squirrelfighter
Squirrel Fighting Champ

Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
I have to go with other here. There is no one specific form of combatives that are the most effective in all situations. The devil is in the details.

Example: In a MT fight, obviously MT is the most effective, with secondary being a tie between American/Sanshou kickboxing. In a Sanshou fight, obviously Sanshou, a MT guy would be taken down over and over, and possibly get DQed for use of illegal techniques (elbows/knees depending on rules)IMO.

In MMA, again, there's no real #1. The only thing that stands out for me is the rules. The stand up rules for MMA are based loosely around kickboxing/MT rules as well as grappling comps like Judo, Jitz, Greco, etc. The same principle that gives wrestlers an advantage on the ground gives MT guys the advantage on the feet. That's not to say a Kareteka couldn't dominate in MMA, or a Judoka, he just has to condition himself to the rules of the sport, i.e. keeping his hands up (not relying on reverse punches), learning sprawls. This doesn't mean he's using a MT technique because he's using a side head block, it means he's blocking the sides of his head, nothing more.

In the street, this is an area where I believe MT/Kickboxing/Boxing are at their most useless. They are Arts designed for sport, conditioned for the rules, built around sport, and trained for sport. Where as Kung Fu (Shaolin or Wing Chun for example) are not necessarily designed for this purpose. Especially Wing Chun, which is an Art originally designed wholey for self-defense, that has been modified in some schools to become a sport. These Arts, not just Kung Fu, almost everything you listed that is not designed for sport, trains things like groin kicks, throat strikes, eye gouges, elbows to the brain stem. These are all techniques you'd get tossed out of a MT school for practicing, but they do it in non-sport schools. This gives one MT fighter of relative training to one non-sport fighter a significant disadvantage. If the MT fighter can throw the best damn overhand in the land, it really doesn't matter if his throat was just collapsed by throat strike.

However, the rule stands in everything I just listed that 99/100 the most skilled fighter wins, regardless of his background, or what name he assigns to his Art.

Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote