MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Boxing: The Most Underrated Discipline in Mixed Martial Arts

View Single Post

Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
champbronc2
MMA Fanatic

champbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hugchampbronc2 Needs A Hug
Boxing: The Most Underrated Discipline in Mixed Martial Arts

Would you all agree with what I wrote in my article?

I am an amateur boxer and feel very strongly on the issue.

Quote:
Whatever happened to wanting to see a guy get bashed in the face and knocked on his butt? It seems today maybe we have gone soft. More often, it may be the case that you hear someone say, "he needs a takedown to
win this round, and the fight. " Wrestling is a dominant skill, no doubt, but it seems that so many today are ignoring the art that has potential to end the fight the fastest: good old fashioned classical boxing.

Recently my boxing coach was forced to resign from my MMA gym. The politics behind it aren't important, but this action has inspired me to write on the underutilization of this fight discipline. As a boxer, it is very frustrating to see this happen. No, this is not an article concerning MMA vs. Boxing. This isn't about Randy Couture vs. James Toney. This is about the use, or lack thereof, of boxing skills within the sport of MMA.

Recently I attended a Muay Thai Kickboxing tournament. As an amateur boxer, with experience training in Muay Thai and Jiu-jitsu, I saw clear opportunities to score or finish the fight being missed. They were the type of opportunities that a classically trained boxer would have recognized and exploited. Want to be dominant in the ring? Learn classic boxing.

While watching these fights, I saw the participants backing up, leading to them getting caught on the ropes or in the corner. In boxing this is a cardinal sin. Your body goes backward, your punches go forward. The net force is much less when moving backward compared to the fighter stalking forward and punching forward. Great fighters do not retreat, but they circle and counter. The best opportunity you have to score points in any combat sport is while your opponent is trying to score against you. Very few fighters, outside of Chuck Liddell, have ever had much success scoring points while moving backwards in retreat.

Read more at:
MMANews247.com - Boxing: The most underrated discipline in Mixed Martial Arts

(Edited to provide a teaser for the rest of the article.)

About MMA News 247
champbronc2 is offline   Reply With Quote