MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Would you trust this gym?

View Single Post

Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gluteal Cleft
Defecato, ergo sum

Gluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level nowGluteal Cleft is on another level now
Would you trust this gym?

My son has turned five, and REALLY wants to take Jiu Jitsu. There's a really good gym not far away, and while the instructor definitely knows his jitz... I don't get the impression that he really "gets" kids that well.

Last night I found a closer gym, with good pricing. I talked with the instructor for a while, he seemed intelligent, knowledgeable, and very understanding of teaching kids. He's a black belt under Flavio Behring, and also has a black belt in Judo. In addition to two jitz classes each week, once a week, he also teaches the kids about things like "stranger danger", how to handle adult attackers and abductors, stuff like that.

Now, here are the two things that make me pause: First, the instructor is close to 400 pounds, if not OVER it. He seems to have what it takes to be a good instructor, but that does make me question his activity.

Second, his daughter teaches the women's class. And his daughter is... a blue belt. I asked "You have a blue belt teaching the class?", to which he responded "She has over ten years of mat experience, rolling and striking." I've never had a class taught by anything but a black belt.

So... you guys, tell me your thoughts. I see green flags and red flags, and I'm torn.

Leading the Thiago Silva bandwagon
Gluteal Cleft is offline   Reply With Quote