MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Most effective form of striking

View Single Post

Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Squirrelfighter
Squirrel Fighting Champ

Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
See this is actually the part that I have a problem with, and what originally prompted my response.

Here, I feel like you are insinuating that these moves can overcome solid technique. Or even worse, I feel like you were insinuating that a pro fighter could be overcome with groin kicks or throat punches.

Your statement assumes that the groin-kicker/throat-striker lands first. Against someone who has 'the sickest overhand in the land,' it's REDICUlOUS to think that would happen. Having the best punch doesn't just mean power -- it means accuracy, speed, timing, and setups. Dirty techniques <<<<<<<<<<< power, precision, speed, and timing. They're not a magic button.

Although, again, I have nothing against using them in the streets and I think that they could work just fine against an unskilled opponent. However, against a skilled opponent, you'll need skill to hang.
I can completely understand and agree with some of the first part. But much of our disagreement there is a matter of differences of opinion or stylistic things, however you want to word it. Which is fine. That's the best thing about Martial Arts in general (traditional, self-defense or sport) its all unique to the user.

The part I quoted is where I have to address our differences. I wasn't trying at all to suggest the overhand user was in some way inferior to a single technique. However I feel like you are implying that the user of the throat strike is inferior. Who's to say any of them are inferior/superior fighters, simply stating that one technique, which I consider the perfect technique to counter with a throat strike which when performed properly is a rising technique, like an uppercut, is inferior to another.

The point I was trying to make was that in a street fight, whoever's technique is better matters less that who does more demoralizing and physically limiting damage, granted better technique is the gateway to doing more damage. In this case, the user of the throat strike, when done properly (a proper throat strike is an open hand technique, not a closed fist technique) it completely blocks of air flow, but more importantly disrupts the epiglottis, which activates the gag reflex causing partial, or full uncontrolled vomiting.

Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. Thatís it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote