MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Most effective form of striking

View Single Post

Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter

Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
I can completely understand and agree with some of the first part. But much of our disagreement there is a matter of differences of opinion or stylistic things, however you want to word it. Which is fine. That's the best thing about Martial Arts in general (traditional, self-defense or sport) its all unique to the user.

The part I quoted is where I have to address our differences. I wasn't trying at all to suggest the overhand user was in some way inferior to a single technique. However I feel like you are implying that the user of the throat strike is inferior. Who's to say any of them are inferior/superior fighters, simply stating that one technique, which I consider the perfect technique to counter with a throat strike which when performed properly is a rising technique, like an uppercut, is inferior to another.

The point I was trying to make was that in a street fight, whoever's technique is better matters less that who does more demoralizing and physically limiting damage, granted better technique is the gateway to doing more damage. In this case, the user of the throat strike, when done properly (a proper throat strike is an open hand technique, not a closed fist technique) it completely blocks of air flow, but more importantly disrupts the epiglottis, which activates the gag reflex causing partial, or full uncontrolled vomiting.
I certainly am assuming that the throat-striker is inferior in this situation. Why? Because you said this dude has 'the baddest overhand in the land.' For his technique to be so much more developed than everyone elses, he'd pretty much have to be a high level competitor.

Though you can definitely prepare for both, self defense and combat sports are different paths. Someone who's really good at one, doesn't tend to be as good at the other. Putting in the work into each field will yield different results. A high level combat sportsman will be an EXCELLENT fighter, and will be able to overcome most people in the world in a 1-on-1 fight. This includes the high level self defense practitioner. However, the self defense guy could survive many situations that the combat sportsman would get killed in. Combat sports gets you good at fighting, self defense arts get you good at surviving bad situations.

So, unless I misread your meaning, I'm assuming that the guy with the overhand right is a high level competitor. The throat-striker is almost certainly not as good a FIGHTER (though he may be equipped to handle many more self defense scenarios).

That's my thought process on this...

Plus, when you were saying things like 'a 60 year old lady could collapse someone's throat with a strike,' it seems like you're saying that dirty moves can overcome superior skill (when you consider 'the baddest overhand in the land' example in conjunction with this).

Support my FB athlete page!

Watch my 5th pro fight here

Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote