MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - -1 vs. All Challenge- Nick Diaz should move to Middleweight to fight Mayhem

View Single Post

Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
I agree but Coker has already come out and said multiple times that he wants this fight to happen. The fans want it to happen. Mayhem wants it to happen. Nick Diaz is literally the only person that doesn't want this fight to happen.
Again, I understand why Coker has said that he wants this bout to happen. But if I'm Scott Coker (I'm not, but let's just speak hypothetically for a second here) it's good to have a grudge match. It's less good to have my top welterweight lose to an unranked former welterweight.

It's actually worse to have MayheM loose, since it kills the argument they're trying to make that he should be a middleweight contender, which is an interesting argument given how competitive his fight was with Shields.

Scott Coker is not stupid (and I'm not saying that because I was pretending to be Scott Coker a second ago) so I assume he knows that this is a lose/lose situation for him in terms of hype for these two fighters that, at this point, he really needs to be bringing in the money for him.

Quote:
In my opinion, he should have though about all of this before attacking Mayhem. My biggest problem with it, is that he is still pulling stunts like this AFTER the Gracie camp has been leaning away from the fight. If he literally does not want this fight then fine, don't take it. But he really needs to stop provoking Mayhem.

To be honest, fighter's at Diaz's level don't attack fellow fighters and throw water bottles at them either. A real professional needs to act professional.
I'm not going to defend Nick Diaz acting like a neanderthal. He knows that he's not the smartest guy, and he knows that his impulsive behavior pisses a lot of people off. These are realities of his career, and I think he's more than aware of them.

I think he probably should have been thinking of something else (what would my mother think? or somesuch) before attacking Miller. But it's not about behavior. It's about good fights.

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with this. I just want him to stop provoking Mayhem, and for him , not the Gracie Camp, but Nick Diaz to come out and say that he does not want to fight Mayhem Miller.

I think he needs to either fight Mayhem, or come out, say no, and stop with the nonsense.
And I want Ikuhisa Minowa to submit Brock Lesnar with a heelhook.

And I want to go into my room and find Jessica Alba laying in some seductive position on my bed.

And I want a pony.

But it'll never happen. We know that, and we know why.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, everyone including Scott Coker wants this fight to happen.
Not enough to make it happen. If Scott Coker wanted it badly, it'd happen. People seem to underestimate Scott Coker's power as a fight promoter and as a man who can convince fighters to do what he needs them to do to fill his pocket.

There are too many other fights that are better for him than this one, for both Diaz and MayheM, to create the appropriate motivation. He wants to see this, for sure, because it'd be a solid payday. You know what's a better payday? To get Miller and Diaz on cards fighting opponents in their respective weightclasses and building credibility.

Strikeforce didn't get where it is, and hasn't stayed there for a substantial amount of time, for putting together events that don't have a long term outlook. They're meticulous about that. Look at the matchmaking for Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez over their respective careers, or the matchmaking for Cung Le, or even Nick Diaz.

Quote:
These are two different situations. Miller wants a chance to have a fair fight against someone who he believes tried to beat him in a cheap way.
I'm not ignoring the legitimacy of the claim, but my point is this: there are better things for both Miller and Diaz to be doing. That's the analogy.

Quote:
This fight can be marketed in a huge way. Their conflict is out in the open, fans want the fight to happen, Coker wants the fight to happen, because fights that draw this much attention are good for business.
Great, and after Diaz vs. Miller part one and (at least) part two, what do you do with the current welterweight champion, who has already lost much of his credibility for losing the trilogy and hasn't defended his title in six months? Or if Diaz wins, what do you do with Miller, who you've basically borrowed from Dream on the basis of making him a credible middleweight, and have officially screwed that possibility up by letting him lose to a fighter much smaller than him with essentially no credibility in the middleweight division?

I'm not saying there isn't money to be made here. We all know that great grudge matches, even when drawn out way too much, make great money. But here's the problem: these are guys who are trying to do things in their career that are totally unrelated to this grudge match.

There are grudge matches that are natural and hugely beneficial for the careers of the involved fighters (Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie; Shamrock vs. Dan Severn; Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Hughes) and then there are grudge matches between fighters who are still trying to maintain relevance (Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock).

This isn't one of those. This is a fight that distracts from what these guys should be doing with their careers. Both of these guys are relevant, and should have to fight like they are relevant: fight contenders in their respective weightclasses and try to establish top ten status.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote