Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

BJ Penn Says He Is Moving To 155

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Spit206Fire 
#1 ·
http://www.kuam.com/

- On the right "Kuam News Video" player, scroll through the videos and it should say "Brent with MMA world champ BJ Penn"

His plan is to move down to 155 lbs. get the title, move up to 170 lbs. and get the title, & move up to 185 lbs. and get that title as well.

Wow. We'll see. Thoughts?

#4 ·
A move like this or at least by him saying he gonna do this makes it seem to me like he is taking the easy way out. He can't beat the guys in his weight class so what's he do, claim he is gonna move down and win the belt which he just might but then he claims he will move up not only one but two weight classes and win bothe those belts as well. Not happening, he stands a good chance if he can drop to 155 but at 170 and 185 he will just be the same as he is now. He's a good fighter and all but at this time he is moving down the ranks not up them in his weight class with all the young guys who are turning up the heat like GSP and Sanchez etc....

#6 ·
Someone needs to remind BJ Penn that this isn't the WWE, right now BJ is confused. BJ, there is a difference between being confident and being a dreamer. From what was said in the interview, Cabbage was coming back to the UFC to. I guess he is going to drop and try for the 155 and 170 title to. Come on now ffs, Penn in my opinion has no chance @ 185. It really wouldn't be that exciting to watch either, I wouldn't think.

#7 ·
lol Sherks/Florian/Stevenson/Yves/Fischer, these guys are no push overs at 155.

After Sherk destroys Florian, Sherk Vs Penn would be good.

#9 ·
ya i'd take sherk in the fight, personally just because im a HUGE sherk fan, but i also think he's alot like hughes at 170 he's PERFECT for the size.

#10 ·
hahaha....WAR PENN, and on all you haters. He has the potential to win at all 3 weight classes. The hardest would be 185 IMO. But if he gets his gas tank back to where it was he would own Sherk, Hughes, and GSP. The only reason GSP won was cuz Baby Jay gased. Imagine what a gnub GSP would of looked like had Penn kept up the striking clinic he was putting on in the 1st. Its just a matter of what shape he comes in. He already showed he can dominate Hughes, so Sherk is just a lower form. Nothing has changed between Hughes and Penn, Penn would do it again. Its all conditioning for BJ. But at 185 Franklin would probably be too much and wouldn't let BJ take him down and just put a clinic on ala Tanner/Loiseau. Penn owns grapplers.

#11 ·
FunkDoctor said:
hahaha....WAR PENN, and on all you haters. He has the potential to win at all 3 weight classes. The hardest would be 185 IMO. But if he gets his gas tank back to where it was he would own Sherk, Hughes, and GSP. The only reason GSP won was cuz Baby Jay gased. Imagine what a gnub GSP would of looked like had Penn kept up the striking clinic he was putting on in the 1st. Its just a matter of what shape he comes in. He already showed he can dominate Hughes, so Sherk is just a lower form. Nothing has changed between Hughes and Penn, Penn would do it again. Its all conditioning for BJ. But at 185 Franklin would probably be too much and wouldn't let BJ take him down and just put a clinic on ala Tanner/Loiseau. Penn owns grapplers.
I AGREE , BJ WOULD TOOL SHERK, HE WOULD BEAT HUGHES IF HE WAS IN SHAPE ..AND IF HE CAME IN AT LIKE 165 AGAINST GSP, HE MIGHTA ONE THAT...BUT HE'S HAVE NO SHOT AT ALL AGAINST ACE..NO SHOT

#13 ·
Penn is one of the most overrated fighters in the UFC WW division at least.
If you have to begin every sentence with if,should, or would then it is probably an unecessary statement. Penn matches up well against wrestlers and people that rely on ground and pound. Once GSP could see again he dominated the fight (rounds 2 and 3). As for the Hughes fight, that is like the only credential that he is remembered for. If he was really as great as every one states he is then there would be many more fghts that would be talked about when boosting his rep. Hughes has gotten way better since that fight and BJ has been way to convinced that he is the best fighter in the world and thinks that he doesn't need to train as hard. He needs to wake up and realize that there are hungry competitors out there looking to kick his ass. Until he does that he will be unable to win at any weight class. As for him and ACE. Please, the only way he would win that one is if they gave him a firearm. Then it is still questionable. Look at what he did to Louiseau for nearly half an hour. It would take like 3 seconds for his wig to split by Franklin. YES I AM A HUGE FAN OF FRANKLIN'S. But that aside, Penn has potential he just needs to realize that he is not the best fighter in the world. And two of those weight classes he thinks he can get the belt in (170 and 185) have a couple of them holiding those belts.

#14 ·
ZZtigerZZ81 said:
If you have to begin every sentence with if,should, or would then it is probably an unecessary statement. Penn matches up well against wrestlers and people that rely on ground and pound. Once GSP could see again he dominated the fight (rounds 2 and 3). As for the Hughes fight, that is like the only credential that he is remembered for. If he was really as great as every one states he is then there would be many more fghts that would be talked about when boosting his rep. Hughes has gotten way better since that fight and BJ has been way to convinced that he is the best fighter in the world and thinks that he doesn't need to train as hard. He needs to wake up and realize that there are hungry competitors out there looking to kick his ass. Until he does that he will be unable to win at any weight class. As for him and ACE. Please, the only way he would win that one is if they gave him a firearm. Then it is still questionable. Look at what he did to Louiseau for nearly half an hour. It would take like 3 seconds for his wig to split by Franklin. YES I AM A HUGE FAN OF FRANKLIN'S. But that aside, Penn has potential he just needs to realize that he is not the best fighter in the world. And two of those weight classes he thinks he can get the belt in (170 and 185) have a couple of them holiding those belts.
BJ Penn one of the most overrated fighters? I really hope your not serious, "As for the Hughes fight, that is like the only credential that he is remembered for." weak, only credential, how about beating 2 Gracie's, to Matt's 1 and an old one (no disrespect to Royce he is a living legand), and BJ beat them both and guess what they are both 185, BJ will rule the 155 class, with "lil evil" giving him the best fight at 155 but he stays there and he wears the belt till he dies, in shape and focused BJ can and will take his belt back from Matt, and as far as GSP, he etched out a split decsion to an out of shape Penn, BJ in shape wins against GSP by anyway he wants, and Rich, Ace is a warrior, but if the fight went to the ground BJ is far superior,and if they stood up and banged BJ can throw with the best of 'em, but do your homework before you try and claim one of the top fighters in the world is "overrated" tuf noob, check BJ's fights and see the quality of fighters he has fought and beaten

#15 ·
Sean Sherk will control 155.

End of that subject.

:)

#16 ·
ZZtigerZZ81 said:
I concur that you have no idea what you're talking about. All you know is what the Countdown tells you. You hear so much about him beating Matt Hughes because they are trying to emphasize to new fans like yourself the fact that he is a ****in beast. He DOMINATED that fight from start to finish. Matt looked like a complete amateur in that fight which was incredible. BJ Penn deserves all the credit he can get for that fight and more. If you were a true MMA fan then you would realize that the Hughes victory wasn't "his only credential". I would say that wins over Renzo and Rodrigo Gracie are pretty impressive, as well as Takanori Gomi.

And as for you saying he only matches up well with ground and pounders and wrestlers, well unfortunately you made an ass of yourself again. BJ also fights in K-1 which if I'm not mistaken is a kickboxing organization. If you knew anything at all about BJ Penn before posting that, then, well you probably wouldn't have posted it at all cuz most of it is BS. He beats stand-up fighters just as easily as ground fighters using either technique. He has submission wins and knock-out wins pretty much evenly with a couple decisions thrown in. He'll dominate 155 for sure, more than likely take the 170 title as well, and definately at least stands a chance against Ace.

#17 ·
Give BJ a chance, okay 185 is pushing it to the point of a Rocky movie but cmon how stoked was everyone when he smashed Kaol Uno(damn good little fighter) and so on. Okay in a sense that is history however its good someone has the balls/dreams to make such a claim-i mean if he doesnt try he is now setting himself to lose a lot of respect. Mind you Jens Pulver may have something to say as well, good luck to him as a fan/spectator i respect anyone with the balls to step up and fight let alone make such a claim, its easy to assasinate character from a keyboard guys lets just see if he ends up making history or the bigest humble pie.

#19 ·
Well first he wants 170, so we'll see if he can even get to 155.

I honestly think sherk would be penn, but thats because im a huge Sherk fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.