MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Self training help

View Single Post

Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by persojm0 View Post
Hi, I'm pretty new to Muay Thai, and not that great of a fighter. I have been doing Muay Thai for the last 2 months. I managed to swing it with my college to join an MMA gym in Dallas for the summer, write a personal journal of what I have been doing, and recieve an Asian Studies credit and PE credit in return.

I have to say, I've never done anything better in my life. I'm in the best shape that I've ever been, I'm way more confident, and I just like the fact that I've found exercise that's completely badass.

My biggest problem, however, is that my independent study got cut short. I contracted spinal meningitis, was in the hospital for a week, and just got the all clear to start exercising again. I'm not in Dallas anymore, but in Oxford, Mississippi.

I kind of feel like I have my legs cut out from under me. I'm ready to get back to this, and I've started some pretty basic conditioning to work off the atrophy, but I don't have access to even the most basic equipment. I don't have a punching bag, a partner to spar with, and the nearest gym with a Muay Thai instructor is 60 miles away.

All I have is my gloves and shin pads, a set of (cheap) Thai Pads, and my friend's old standing punching dummy that he doesn't use anymore.

I love this way too much to give it up now. Any help on what I can do on my own to stick with this sport
Find an instructor.

Seriously, as has already been said, striking the air is just not helpful. Without proper instruction, it's really tough to build a skillset because you can't effectively identify the mistakes that you are making and correct them. You might be able to tell that there's something wrong with a kick. Hell, you might be able to fix a few very obvious mistakes, but the basic stuff really requires someone who can watch your technique and correct the mistakes as you go so that you can feel the difference.

There really is no replacement for good instruction. Even as you come up in the sport, there is not a whole lot that can help like instruction, because of the impact that it has on your thinking, and it's constantly challenging.

I'd maintain the fitness and even watch some tutorials and stuff to see if you pick up some techniques while you don't have access to proper instruction. But seriously look for an instructor, because that's where the real progress is.

EDIT: It's a good question, though, because there are a lot of people who try to train themselves. Very rarely does it turn out well. Every once in a while you have a great like Evan Tanner (RIP) but most just look like Charlie Z.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote