MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Have Wing Chunners ever won against other styles?

View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
They certainly weren't of equal skill. The WC guy actually looked pretty good. The kickboxer, on the other hand, was pretty bad.
As far as I remember, the Wing Chun guy is a teacher on "Technician" or even "Practician" grade according to EWTO (European Wing Tsun Organisation) which is the equivalent to a Dan grade in Japanese martial arts. I don't have a clue about the kickboxer though besides what there is to see in the clip.

Quote:
Furthermore, the kickboxer was going at sparring speed while the WC guy looked like he was going full-bore -- with small gloves, no shinpads, and shoes no less.

I've had a lot of similar experiences sparring kung fu guys. I'll be going at sparring speed, they'll be going full-blast and they'll land a lot of shots that they shouldn't. Then I realize that they're going full-out, so I match the intensity and they whither and drop.
Yes.

Quote:
While there are different ways of throwing a punch and a kick, the most efficient methods all look pretty similar (ie: like boxing or kickboxing). Other methods can overwhelm an untrained fighter or be hard for a properly trained striker to defend (because they're so unorthodox), but these blows are weak and easy to blow right through with committed conventional striking techniques.
Yes, as I said, they can be a nice addition to your arsenal, but they won't hold for long as your standard weapon.
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote