MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Have Wing Chunners ever won against other styles?

View Single Post

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter

Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearInTheClinch View Post
well there are a variety of problems
but for one big key in Wing Chun is you basicaly have to target areas that are 90% illegal in sport comat
so that's a huge detraction
I mean as far as asking how it does in MMA you may as well ask how Kendo is doing in the cage...
I'm really not trying to take a confrontational tone here, but that's the copout that every crappy school makes. The "we're too deadly to spar/compete" is only spouted by those who are too afraid to do so. I know plenty of JKD schools who compete, even if their main interest is self-defense, and I Krav Maga schools that at least spar hard.

A style that hinges around techniques that can't be honed in hard sparring or competition (which is still a training method, not an end into itself) is not a legitimate style. I, however, do not short change WC and claim that it is such a style.

To be honest, the WC guy who was sparring with the kickboxer in the vid above -- he could probably beat a lot of amateur MMA fighters I've seen (if he had takedown defense). He's got speed and skills and he got them using an IRREPLACABLE training method -- sparring.

Long story short, if you don't spar, you can't fight. If you do spar, you can compete.

Support my FB athlete page!

Watch my 5th pro fight here

Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote