MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Have Wing Chunners ever won against other styles?
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
I'm really not trying to take a confrontational tone here, but that's the copout that every crappy school makes. The "we're too deadly to spar/compete" is only spouted by those who are too afraid to do so. I know plenty of JKD schools who compete, even if their main interest is self-defense, and I Krav Maga schools that at least spar hard.

A style that hinges around techniques that can't be honed in hard sparring or competition (which is still a training method, not an end into itself) is not a legitimate style. I, however, do not short change WC and claim that it is such a style.

To be honest, the WC guy who was sparring with the kickboxer in the vid above -- he could probably beat a lot of amateur MMA fighters I've seen (if he had takedown defense). He's got speed and skills and he got them using an IRREPLACABLE training method -- sparring.

Long story short, if you don't spar, you can't fight. If you do spar, you can compete.
I agree with all of that actually
I'm pretty sure you mistook my statment to mean that WingChun was great or something, all I really mean is that the way it's set up even the best in the world at it would be at a disadvantage if they tried to use it in a competitive sport type competition
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome