MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How do you do a double leg takedown?

View Single Post

Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter

Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraMaI View Post
As for the last part (Circumstance dictates technique), I'm just going to go with my "Bread and Butter Double Leg".

The set-up:
Jabs, possibly an overhand feint or a teep. Something to get them either thinking high or moving off balance.

The Shot:
In on one knee, head belly button level, face looking to the side with my cheek to the inside of their hip (not on the side of their body, to the left or right of their center). If I'm shooting to my left (usually), wrap my right arm behind his knee, clinch with my other hand about thigh level.

The Finish:
Pull left with my arms, push right with my head while moving semi circular to my left and driving forward, both knees coming off the ground.(I believe that would be called "turning the corner" but I'm unsure, my wrestling is balls) Hopefully end up in side control or at the very least half guard. Sometime I'll do sort of a hybrid Outside trip/double leg, too. If I get deep enough inside and knee is planted close to him, I'll use a trip to assist pulling him off balance with my arms.

Pros/Cons:
+ Takes less energy than a "Driving" double leg as it's more based off of balance/counter balance.

+ Not as succeptible to being "Stuffed" and ending up in turtle position or with a guy on your back and your face on the floor because your knee is planted and your other foot remains closer to your center of gravity, it's much easier to just stand back up after he sprawls.

+ Can't get kneed once you're knee is down

+ Better ending position

- Considerably more complicated that the "Driving Double" due to the different stages or the takedown.

- You HAVE to be quick as the shot is lower that normal, it's easier to dodge or counter with a knee before your knee hits the floor.

- Not as much forward momentum as driving doubles.

- Must be timed and executed well in order to pull it off cleanly. If you miss you can't just keep going with it like a power/driving double, you have to back out and try again.
Great post! You followed the format even better than I did,which is sad since I'm the one who laid it out...

But yeah, wait, you can shoot off of a teep?! Is it off of a landed teep or a missed teep? I guess I could visualize pushing someone back with a teep and shooting right as they come back in.

I'm a big fan of your style of shooting (as I have the same one). I used to do more of a driving double but my wrestling coach blew my mind and i've never looked back.

Two of the minuses that you listed 'not as much momentum' and 'hard to follow up on' are easily overcome by little modifications. I find that having the right distance on your shot can give you TONS of penetration... and if you come to your feet smoothly (as opposed to swinging them from on one knee) you end up driving through just like the other style of takedown, albeit at an angle. Still less forward momentum, but not TOO much less.

As for the follow up, my wrestling coach insists that you can 'double up on your shots.' As in shoot again immediately after you miss, rather than disengaging. I've seen him kill backpedaling with this, since his first shot takes him pretty close, and I've even seen him make sharp changes in direction for the second shot if the guy sidestepped.

Unfortunately, I'm not a great wrestler and I often fail at both of those things, so those 'minuses' are applicable to my double legs too. There's plenty of times where I don't shoot deep enough so I have to work extra hard on the finish, and I'm not coordinated enough to double-shoot... yet.

But theoretically those weaknesses can be overcome!

Support my FB athlete page!

Watch my 5th pro fight here

Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote