MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Advice for a new guy?

View Single Post

Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
I would actually strongly discourage you from trying to learn all three styles, especially since there are some serious differences in terms of the habits that they (particularly judo and BJJ) are going to try to get you to build.

Do some research and decide which one you think is going to be the best starting point for you. I agree with the guys who have been saying that BJJ is probably going to be best because of your frame. Just don't get frustrated by the short stocky guys who will give you a lot of trouble as you're getting started; you'll figure out how to use your length as you go.

Still, I think that starting with BJJ and then, after about six months or a year, try adding another system and seeing what that does for you. It's really helpful to develop the fundamentals of a single system exclusively first, because it helps you understand the learning process of martial arts, and you won't have to worry about instructors telling you two different things because they come from two different styles.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote