MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The Jab - Breaking Down the Basics

View Single Post

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jeff_Joslin
MMA fighter
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

Jeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of lightJeff_Joslin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboxingcoach View Post
Hey Jeff

This is a very informative and interesting video and I think it's a great opportunity for the users of the forum. I'm a long time boxing coach and, like you, have created a series of videos which describe the skills of my chosen sport. Before we go any further, I have a great respect for the sport of MMA; anyone who climbs into an enclosed space with someone who wishes to do damage to them deserves all the respect in the world. Furthermore, I'm not taking a stance (no pun intended) of "Boxers know more about punching that MMA guys!", this is far too simplistic an assessment. I see this as a unique learning opportunity for myself and the users of the forum.

OK, below is a link to my description of the perfect boxing jab (forgive the brightness, the quality improves with subsequent videos!) Having looked at your video side by side with mine, there are both similarities and contradictions, it's very interesting. It would be good if either yourself or others on the forum could look at the two and we can discuss the reasons for the differences. It'll be interesting to see where we go! My sense is that it will come down to stance differences and the threat of imminent grappling or kicks...we'll see!

How to throw a boxing jab.

Cheers

Fran
Hi Fran,

Thanks for sharing your video. I've come across some of them before and they are always great!

As for my jab. I throw it the exact same way in boxing as well. Over 10 years ago I met up with a fantastic boxing coach who made a huge impact on my striking game. I love the sport.

I notice you turn you forward hip when you jab where I keep my hip still. That brings up one question for me. Do you turn and reset the hip with every jab when you throw a double or triple jab?

Thanks for commenting on the post and It's great to hear different perspectives on combat stuff.

Hope all is well!

JJ
Jeff_Joslin is offline   Reply With Quote