MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - I want to fight

Thread: I want to fight
View Single Post

Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadownanddirty View Post
Hey guys,

How long do you think it would take to become an MMA fighter. I just started private lessons and was wondering how long it takes the average person to get an amateur fight. I am into bodybuilder so I have a good foundation. What do you guys think?

Also I am writing a blog about my journey from my decision to do MMA to my first fight. Contact me if interested in reading it as I know it is not allowed to post links.

Thanks
As far as the length of time that it takes, there are a ton of mitigating factors. Most significantly: level of athleticism beforehand, level of training in martial arts and experience in competitive, full contact competitions. Those are major factors for people looking to train in MMA. If you're working from the ground up in all of those, then you're looking at four or five years of training before going pro (probably two years before taking amateur fights) depending on the level of dedication.

If you have great athleticism, sometimes you can do it in three. Rich Franklin did it with little to no training in styles beforehand and went on to be very successful, though he is an outlier.

Also, you're allowed to post links if its just to an external website. As long as it's not to a forum, we don't mind. You can also feel free to use the training log section to run the blog or just browse the techniques section for general advice on training in different areas. It can be very helpful and we have some very knowledgeable, experienced guys there to help.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote