Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

MMA Fighers Ears?

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  The Don 
#1 ·
I've noticed alot of MMA fighters ears look alike. Randy Couture's are messed up like i'm talking about. Whats wrong with there ears?

#4 ·
In TUF2 one of the heavyweights had terrible cauliflower ears in his last fight and the pain from that contributed to him losing the fight. they were blown up like balloons, purple and bleeding.....ouch!!!!!

#6 ·
shamrock420 said:
Man I bet!
Wrestlers have this problem frequently as do boxers.. makes sense it would show up in MMA.. Would Wrestling style head gear be allowed? I know it might give your opponent a hand hold but if someone were concerend about this it would offer protection?:dunno:

#9 ·
If you grapple enough and people fight for head control on you, it won't matter if you have headgear or not. It comes from constant friction caused by prolonged contact to the ear. The inside of the ear bruises and begins to fill up with liquid, causing deformation of the cartilage. It's very common in lots of grapplers (I've seen Judo and Ju-Jitsu guys with cauliflower ear). But I've also seen receptionists get it from prolonged used of phone handsets, which is the reason why they usually use headsets now.

#10 ·
Craze said:
yea i wrestle and i have it alittle on my right ear i know so many ppl whos ears are so messed up from it. thats y they make you where headgear in highschool wrestling. didnt they show bisping draining the blood from his ear on TUF???
yes he did i remeber it was pretty gross watching them extract the liquid from it. LOL

#12 ·
Craze said:
yea i wrestle and i have it alittle on my right ear i know so many ppl whos ears are so messed up from it. thats y they make you where headgear in highschool wrestling. didnt they show bisping draining the blood from his ear on TUF???

Yea I remember that now that you say something. Just a part of the sport it seems to me.

#13 ·
I can't remember who had it in TUF 3 but i remember someone had it.

It was either Ed Herman or someont else, i know Ed either had the califlower ear or took the blood out of it with a needle.

I've had it before and it freakin sucks.

When i wrestled in state tourniment my senior year i was wrestling for 3rd place in the state and the guy had my head just grinded into the mat, which i believe was the reason the next day the left side of my face looked like i had been thai kicked about 50 times.

#15 ·
The calliflower ear is caused by friction,grinding and folding of the ear.The swwelling comes after the skin and cartlidge seperate giving blood and stuff a place to collect.I had a small bit from wrestling in highschool.Its only getting worse with the way I train in martial arts now.
The only prevention is to constantly wear head gear and that's no garentee.

#16 ·
Bushido said:
The calliflower ear is caused by friction,grinding and folding of the ear.The swwelling comes after the skin and cartlidge seperate giving blood and stuff a place to collect.I had a small bit from wrestling in highschool.Its only getting worse with the way I train in martial arts now.
The only prevention is to constantly wear head gear and that's no garentee.
plus you can train your whole life and never develope it.. everyone is different..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.