Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Cain Velasquez doesn't think he is Number 1

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  tkoshea 
#1 ·
"We won't know unless we get in the same organization. Who's to say that I'm No. 1 or they're No. 1 if we haven't fought yet?" - Cain Velasquez

Good to see him giving props to the Strikeforce heavyweights. It's nice to see a guy talking with some sense as well.

Instead of Dana White who insists that everyone in Strikeforce is a can.

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-new...himself-the-top-heavyweight-in-the-world.html

#3 ·
would have been great if the UFC entered a heavyweight in the Strikeforce tournament like when Chuck entered the Pride GP all those years ago.

Shame it never happened, but no way Dana would risk his heavyweight not winning. He has a lot to lose and relatively little to gain (his organisation is so much bigger than Strikeforce already his fighters are perceived to be the best by the bulk of fans just by brand association)

Hopefully what Dana will do is pick up a couple of the most successful Strikeforce heavyweights when their current contracts run out (overeem and bigfoot perhaps) so we can see a few of the hypothetical match ups play out.

#4 ·
Cain is one of the most humble fighters out there, he lets his performances do the talking. Who is to say he is number 1??? The majority of the fans and industry insiders, thats who.

At the end of the day, the rankings mean nothing. He has the gold around his waist and has never lost a round, nevermind a fight. Thats reality, rankings are just what other ppl think.

#8 ·
Can Overeem take one of Cains shots to the chin is an even bigger question to me. He is the one that has wilted in the past to fighters that pressure him. Thats what Cain is all about, relentless, neverending, never slowing down, pressure.

Would be a great fight if Overeem gets thru the GP and proves his worth. With k1 possiblely in $ troubles along with Dream, we just may find out sooner than later.

#11 · (Edited)
glad to see hes so humble, and no1 really should consider him numer 1 right now, rather you like it or not cain and overeem at the top is pure speculation for now

cain is far from proven and his most solid win is lesnar...or nog i guess, sure he has a lot of skill, so does overeem...but they still havent proven to me that they are the best

cain will prove it once he beats JDS, carwin, and maybe mir...even though mir isnt even top 5 anymore, hes still a credible HW that cain hasnt beat

#12 · (Edited)
One thing about both Overeem and Cain that i admire is, they are NOT company men. They big up fighters from other orgs and freely admit to not knowing if they are the best but both are willing to put it on the line and find out.

Both speak with a class and humility that was missing dearly when Brock was the "baddest man on the planet" and the 1st to let you know it.

#16 ·
Why is everyone thinking so much about Overeem? IMO that fight is no problem for Cain. The dude has a good chin and good recovery and great wrestling and good cardio, anyone who doesn't think Reem is on his back in 10 seconds and stays there is in denial. Reem would be gassed trying to defend off his back and it'd be over.

Now Cain vs Werdum, THAT is a match I'd pay to see. I'd say they're both very close striking wise, one with world class wrestling one with world class BJJ... I hope we see it someday.

#17 ·
Now Cain vs Werdum, THAT is a match I'd pay to see. I'd say they're both very close striking wise, one with world class wrestling one with world class BJJ... I hope we see it someday.
Cain would wreck Werdum worse than JDS did!

On topic: what Cain said is just another proof - if needed - that the top fighters know how to appreciate each other.

And he is right: if they haven't fought each other - how can you say who is better?!

For us - the fans - it feels easy: sitting in front of a screen and using the might keyboard to PREDICT fights.
SOme get it right and some get it wrong. And next time, it can be the other way arround.

But, they - the fighters - know better!
A real fighter knows that he can't be considered better than the other guy, untill they don't fight!
It's just the way a fighter thinks!

That's why they're fighters and we are *keynoard warriors* (at least 95% of us). :)

#19 ·
People act like putting Cain in the SF tourny would have been a fair thing for the UFC. The UFC then has 1 way of winning it while SF has 8 ways of winning it. It would have been awesome if Scott Coker picked 8 Fighters and Dana White picked 8 fighters and then they went against each other on the brackets. The epicness of that tournament would be legendary.

#20 ·
After what's happened at the SF Grand Prix. Their org will go on a decline and Overeem will be the second to head to UFC leaving his title followed by Nick Diaz, Big Foot, and possibily Sergei. The UFC should never have released Werdum. He's always been a very underrated top HW.

That would effectively terminate SF's heavy weight division.

#21 ·
Im glad Cain said this i think it can squash the terrible UFC fanboys now shitting all over SF HWs. IMO i think Cain is number one but like he said we can never truly no so i may have an egg on my face if he faced Overeem or Bigfoot.

WAR CAIN.

#24 ·
Can we atleast wait until the GP is over i mean i believed Fedor would be able to handle Bigfoot's size , so what happens if Werdum subs Overeem for a second time you will change your tune, i have learnt my lesson never throw all your egg's in one basket and come out with sweeping statements until you have alot of evidence to back it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.