MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #304 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Grinding 'em Down

I had a good workout today, working through the basic positions with Troy (a purple belt) from the top and maintaining control of the high mount position.

After the standard portion, I was rolling with Marcos, who's not in great shape, though bigger and stronger than I am. I had him in guard and he kept backing out and letting me sit up and attack, or drag him back down and work my guard up high, and then fighting to get out. I kept reversing him and then falling back to my guard, because I really need to work on sweeps from the closed guard (especially the flower sweep, which I have always struggled with against bigger guys) and working on defending the pass, though I've always been good at preventing my opponent from getting their points.

There was a point where, after I popped out to my knees and swept Marcos over, landing in his half guard, he just tapped from exhaustion.

I have never had that happen to me in competition, but it does happen periodically in training. Marcos admitted that I was going to get him anyways, but then he asked how I managed to stay so comfortable on the bottom, and not use very much energy, while he was all burned out.

This one, people who have done jiu-jitsu for a while know the answer to: I was getting the superior positions and letting him struggle to get back to his position. Instead of stopping me where he was strong (postured up in my guard, pressing down on my hips to keep me from sitting up and attacking) he was letting me break his posture. Everybody makes this mistake when they start. Literally everybody thinks that you can rest when you're broken down in guard. You can, if your opponent isn't doing anything, but the reality is that at some point you have to get back to the postured up position, and that's where you're going to expend all of that energy, rather than on passing.

The moral is this: When you need a rest, don't rest in a position where you can't do anything; rest in a position where you can do everything, because while you're resting, chances are your opponent is going to start setting up a preemptive defense, and that allows you to choose how you want to attack. Going second in jiu-jitsu is great, especially when you can use the time that your opponent is on the defensive to set something up.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote