Who wins?

• Michael Bisping

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Lee Murray

Votes: 26 59.1%

Bisping V Lee Murray Who Wins?

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Hiro 
#1 ·
Bisping of today. Murray before he did his heist.

#16 ·
haha.. i agree.

Murray is my idol. He grew up in the streets and honed his craft there, not in the gym. He's the kind of person i would hang out with in real life. Not these snooty, upper middle-class kids who pay for their fight lessons.

Murray will always be an OG and hero.

WAR Murray !

#4 ·
before he did his heist.....but is it before he got stabbed several times??

It's hard to say, Lee Murray never really fought at the level Bisping has.

He does however have one noteable fight against Anderson Silva which he lost but gave a good account of himself in which is pretty impressive (and a submission win over current Bisping opponent Rivera), still he did lose though and who knows it could have been an off day for silva, this is cage rage silva not the beast he has grown into today also.

Bisping has also given good accounts of himself against Evans and Wanderlei.

I suppose no one knows just how good Murray was (or could have been) so you have to back Bisping, but its basically impossible to answer and will just be gut instinct or opinion dictating.

#6 ·
If Murray had stayed committed to MMA am pretty sure he would of fought for the title at least by now, he had huge potential imo. It would of been a great fight if it had happened and could of been the fight that kicked off MMA in this country, but i would go with Murray.

#7 ·
Come on, people claim Murray was better than he was. Yes he had half decent standup, lots of power and was tough as nails, but Anderson Silva took him down with ease. If Silva can do that with his non existent wrestling, the entire UFC MW division would be able to as well.

Bisping would have taken Murray down repeatedly. Bisping's takedowns aren't recognised much but he sets them up well. Against anyone who isn't a good wrestler/grappler he easily gets takedowns. He's going to do it to Rivera and he would have done it to Murray too.

Murray was no way near as good as some people think.

#8 ·
Murray's hype is mostly born off the incident with Tito (because Tito was the champion and UFC poster boy at the time)

I agree his hype is built up a lot more than he actually ever achieved in the cage.

He has one notable victory on his CV against Rivera (who can't be considered top competition) and a loss to Silva in which he was not knock out or totally outclassed.

Other than that he is far more infamous than he is famous, all the key moments that relate to him are scandles. Stabbed outside China Whites, Fight in alley with Tito and finally caught robbing money and jailed in Morocco.

The bottom line is Bisping has had a great deal more sustain actual success and has been performing on the top level where as Murray never really transcended the lower level Cage Rage status (ok he had a fight in the UFC but that was on the back of his Tito fame more than actual achievement)

So I say you have to give Bisping the edge, we don't really know how good Murray was or could have been because he never had enough fights against top competition to prove his worth.

#20 ·
This, Murray's incident with Tito and his incarceration has made him a larger than life character and his mma abilities have become grossly exaggerated.

#10 ·
Dont know how its possible to tell that Murray " would have been mid tier ". The sport evolves as do the fighters with different camps, techniques and such If i remember the Early Bisping hardley did takedowns at all and was just a pure striker. But as this is the Bisping of today vs The before heist Murray would have to go with Bisping.

#12 ·
I agree with you, and was pretty much going to reply the same thing. Back then, fighters were not as well rounded as they are now, and if Murry had stayed in the game he would have evolved and probably would have been a champ in the UFC or another organization.

#18 ·
Lee Murray was kicking ass and taking names while Bisping was just coming up in the game. Different generation...

If Bisping was a contender at that time they would have encountered each other already. Fast forward to the present had Lee continued with his MMA training I still think he would beat Bisping largely due to two things; one his experience and two his street mentality. You can not teach that. Sure he was getting beat up by Anderson Silva, but he didn't give up. He stayed in there while everybody else was getting KTFO like Fryklund, Stout, and Rivera in Cage Rage.

In fact Bisping and the new crop of UK fighters owe their allegiance to the pioneers although he may not have been the perfect role model.

Lee Murray is one of those fighters where you just think, "what if..."

#19 · (Edited)
Just watched the UFC 127 card about an hour ago.

Change my mind, Lee Murray, no doubt in my mind - not even paying attention the cheap stuff from Bisping.

Bisping V Rivera compared to Murray V Rivera. Even if you put aside the age factor for Rivera and UFC 127 - Murray was better than Bisping ever has been (and probably will be).

---

To Bisping voters, this is Lee Murray V Rivera:

http://vimeo.com/17347075

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.