MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Linux?

Thread: Linux?
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
oldfan
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY

oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilappendix View Post
I'm running ubuntu on my laptop and mint on my wimpy desktop. I got into using linux a few years back after relocating to Boulder. I had no money and no way to keep in touch with family and friends that were scattered to the four corners so my cousins roomie built me a free computer from scavenged parts and tossed linux on there. Frankly, I'll never pay for another microsoft product again and macs are just an embarrassment when people try arguing their advantages.. Open source 4eva.
^^ Amen brother. I put mint on an old laptop for my mom and she never really knew the difference. She already used chrome and as long as she could email and play with pix (picasa) she was happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluteal Cleft View Post
I've been using it now for almost 20 years. Started with the Slackware floppies, and then used it at an ISP before the Internet was cool. These days, I manage so many servers that run it, I couldn't even count them. I've done work under Windows servers, and it's like having your teeth pulled slowly.

But as for the desktop... my desktops are still Windows. Even though there's very little you can't do with Linux... as you've discovered, you often have to jump through a hundred hoops or wait 10 years to make it happen.

Don't get me wrong... I dream of the day when I can convert all of the desktops in my call center to Linux. It would make my job sooo much easier, and cost the company less money. But they have to deal with things every day which they *can* do on Linux... but not as well, not as fast, and having to jump through more hoops.

Going on to the programmers and developers here.... these are folks that do Linux programming all day long. Yet only one has actually chosen to use Linux on his desktop.

I don't doubt a word you say. I'm not a geek and it has been challenging to say the least. But, I enjoy the challenge of " I can do anything you can do". and do it for free. ( I'll admit that if my time were worth anything I'd be in the hole.)

I like to think one day people will wake up and decide not to be an income stream for bill gates or steve jobs their whole life.

On another note, is it just me or does chrome seem to work MUCH better on ubuntu than MS?