Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chris Weidman and random UFC versus 3 thoughts!

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Brydon 
#1 ·
damn did this guy impress me, he has a bright future at MW, falcao and him are great prospects, what did you guys think of him? to beat alessio like that in his debut...not easy

and i found it very interesting that he beat bader and phil davis in straight up wrestling...thats damn impressive, bright future in MW:)

on a side note, last nights event was AWESOME! amazing fights, literally there wasnt one bad fight, very entertaining card! the only thing that im dissapointed in is how UFC isnt giving the FWs and BWs more fights, especially on the main card, their fights are always awesome but they arent getting the love i hoped for:(, i hope with tuf 14 wich is supposed to be a FW or BW one will change things up!

#2 ·
I really like him too. He was a great wrestler in college at 197 lbs, and he was great in ADCC after only training BJJ for about a year or so. I was actually pretty surprised the vBookie points were so lopsided on Sakara. Weidman has been the top blue chip prospect at MW for a long time.

He did play it pretty safe at times, but it was his UFC debut, so I can understand being a little nervous of losing. He turned down a contract with Strikeforce to wait for the UFC to sign him, so he must have felt a lot of pressure. Hopefully he opens up a bit more on the ground later, because he's capable of it.

#3 ·
1. Diego is fu**in' crazy. That dude got heart and determination. There is no "I can't do it" for * The Yes Man*

2. Palhares is a MONSTER on the ground. Minus the Marquardt incident, when he lost his composure...this guy is scary as hell on the ground. Going to the ground with him it's like jumping in a pool full of crocodiles - you're gonna get one limb ripped off.

3. Bowles is a best himself - he made it look so easy. I would love to see him against Faber next (after he beats Wineland). That fight would be fireworks!

4. Lightning does strike twice in the same place, at the same time - Bowles submission victory against Page must be the strangest victory ever, when you consider the stoppage came in the same round (first rd), at the same exact time (3:30) and by way of the same method (guillotine). Talk about deja-vu for Page. That's gotta hurt your morale.....

5. Weidman has potential. WIth better striing and cardio, he could make a name for himself pretty quickly. Small steps is the key for him.

6. Cantwell is an idiot - since when does a BJJ black belt let his opponent (a kickboxer) stand up, after having dominant position ove him on the ground, almost mount?!
And then gets destroyed on the feet - 30-25 and 30-26 decision from 2 judges. That was such stupid on a whole new level imo.

7. Stevenson is done

#4 ·
1. Diego is fun**in' crazy. That dude got heart and determination. There is no "I can't do it" for * The Yes Man*

2. Palhares is a MONSTER on the ground. Minus the Marquardt incident, when he lost his composure...this guy is scary as hell on the ground. Going to the ground with him it's like jumping in a pool full of crocodiles - you're gonna get one limbs ripped off.

3. Bowles is a best himself - he made it look so easy. I would love to see him against Faber next (after he beats Wineland). That fight would be fireworks!

4. Lighting does strike twice in the same place, at the same time - Bowles submission victory against Page must be the strangest victory ever, when you consider the stoppage came in the same round (first rd), at the same exact time (3:30) and by way of the same method (guillotine). Talk about deja-vu for Page. That's gotta hurt your morale.....

5. Weidman has potential. WIth better striing and cardio, he could make a name for himself pretty quickly. Small steps is the key for him.

6. Cantwell is an idiot - since when does a BJJ black belt let his opponent (a kickboxer) stand up, after having dominant position ove him on the ground, almost mount?!
And then gets destroyed on the feet - 30-25 and 30-26 decision from 2 judges. That was such stupid on a whole new level imo.

7. Stevenson is done
My thoughts exactly love.

Really impressed with Weidman
I'll never be a Diego Sanchez fan...But the guy sure as hell brings it
Steve Cantwell owes the UFC and Diabate an apology
Bowles is still dangerous. I think he came in with the wrong gameplan against Dominic Cruz.
Joe Stevenson is indeed done.

#5 ·
I think Chris Weidman's performance has to be put into perspective to give an accurate opinion of how good it was. First of all he took the fight on 2 weeks notice and was fighting a tough veteran in Sakara. It wasn't a complete tooling nor did he get a finish and I thought Sakara won the 1st round personally but for a guy who only has 4 pro fights fighting a guy in Sakara who is by no means a can on 2 weeks notice is impressive. Can he immediately beat Anderson? Hell no but this was a good start to a potentially promising career for him.

#6 ·
yeah thats what made me so impressed by him, plus it seems like he can get pretty brutal on the GnP with those elbows, im getting waaaaaaaay ahead of myself here, but i could see him being a jon jones type of fighter at MW:)...he seems to like those elbows....

anyway...4 fights only...damn...sky is the limit for him

and i dont want to accept stevenson is done! his fights are too awesome:(....but its hard to disagree...

palhares = future MW champ!

#8 ·
What Limba said +

The UFC must really hate Palhares for what he did against Tomasz Drwal with that submission at UFC 111. Undercard, untelevised undercard, and no sub of the night. Say what you want about that submission hold on Drwal but Palhares is one of the best MWs in the UFC and deserve a little more exposure. I think even if he did a flying modified gogoplata that he invented himself he wouldn't get SOTN.

Bowles had a nice guillotine for sure but you see those on every event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.