MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - My Journey

Thread: My Journey
View Single Post

Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Anonymmas
MMA Fanatic

Anonymmas has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by luger0 View Post
Can you describe your body, height,weight?

What sort of strength training do you employ?

Hi Luger,

I am 5'10 and after training weighed about 178 pounds. I am muscular, not very long arms/legs.

I was using "Westside for Skinny Bastards" by Joe Defranco as my strength training for a while. I have been thinking about trying to incorporate CrossFit. My conditioning is usually something like this -

1 mile run (8 minute pace)
Stretch
3 sets of 3 minute rounds of running / elliptical / bike at a 80-90% max pace

Then I usually lift. Right now I really only get to do strength/conditioning twice a week at most. I usually will do core movements, maybe 70% of max but at a fast pace. I like to think that I am continuing my cardio training while I weight lift as I try to keep it low rest. I may do something like this:

Dumbell Incline Bench Press - 80 lb dumbells - 3 sets of 10
Upright Rows - 3 Sets 100 lbs
Pull Ups - 3 sets of 10
Weighted Dips - 45 lb plate 3 sets of 10
Standing Curls - 3 sets, 85 lbs

I have been staying away from squatting/deadlifting lately because of the punishment on my knees, though I have also tried to do incorporate light weight power cleans when I am not too beat up from my fighting regiment.

Like I said, I'd like to try a 1-2 day split that would be quick but would help me with my functional strength for BJJ. Don't get me wrong, my real problem is form and getting used to being more offensive, also stupid habits and mistakes that I need to get rid of...but anything at this point will help!

Conditioning at my school will be a lot of body weight or light weight rounds, typical of what you would see employed by many mma fighters today. Usually that last about 1 hour with 6-7 minutes of total rest dispersed throughout the session.

Any other questions let me know.

PS - Workout today was 45 minutes BJJ drilling, mostly sweeps from side control. Also rolled for 4 5 minute rounds.
Anonymmas is offline   Reply With Quote