MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Heavy Boxing Training Question

View Single Post

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
luger0
Flyweight

luger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of light
I may catch grief for this....but try this:

Work on finding a comfortable way to land the strikes to the bag while using good form.

A boxer who studied a form of karate told me once, about a technique that could be described as opening mental-pathways or building muscle-memory.

His logic says that you throw with as perfect of form as you can at a speed of 1/8 or 1/16 speed/power. Do 25-50 strikes like this without any form of tape or gloves.

Once you are comfortable with throwing at this speed/power then move up gradually until you can strike with full force strikes.

I normally wear no protection when I work on the bag, I find that I am building good memory while I do this.

A few weeks ago, I did some heavy-work. Due to being able to land correctly without the protection helps you a lot when it comes to serious bag-work as opposed to hand-conditioning.

When I did this I took athletic tape and covered my hands in a partial wrap then used some to wrap my wrists, on top of this I wore some hybrid glove/wrap gloves and pulled the elastic tight and taped over that.

After placing these two measures in place I wore my 16-oz boxing gloves. I can tell you it felt great to throw without limits, it takes a long time before you can get to this point though...2-6 months of training.

Throughout life there are bumps along the way some may be painful...others not...who gives a damn in the end you'll still die
luger0 is offline   Reply With Quote