MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Jon Jones Professional MMA debut.

View Single Post

Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
SmackyBear
Bantamweight

SmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefilim777 View Post
I'm pretty sure soccer kicks are illegal regardless of where they land. Anyway, very dominant performance, although I don't like the little show boating he did, holding his arm aloft after the suplex and before he punched him, not sure Jones is quite the guy he makes out to be, a great fighter none the less.
Unified rules of MMA:

Quote:
16. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.

A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter) If the referee determines that a fighter would be a grounded fighter but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter
The kick was fine, unless this state (not sure where this was, I wasn't paying too much attention to anything besides the beating) or promotion has strange additional rules.

Many states, like Nevada, even explicitly mention kicks to the body are fine:

Quote:
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.

A downed opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. If a fighter is caught in a crouched position where the ring ropes or the fence is the only thing keeping the fighter from the ground the fighter will be considered a downed opponent. A fighter can be kicked to the body when they are on the ground.

Last edited by SmackyBear : 03-08-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
SmackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote