Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP - Says he isnt afraid of Anderson.

6K views 67 replies 34 participants last post by  Guy Incognito 
#1 ·
Georges St. Pierre is less than seven weeks away from another huge fight where he defends his UFC welterweight title. He'll battle Jake Shields in front 55,000 at Toronto's Rogers Centre, yet all people can ask about is the possible superfight down the road against UFC middleweight champ. GSP appeared on Versus during UFC on Versus 3 and said it's not a definite that he's taking the fight.

The reaction from many? St. Pierre is "afraid" to take on Silva.

We hunted down St. Pierre while he's training in London to answer the claims that he fears a Silva fight.

"I'm not afraid of nobody in the world," St. Pierre said. "I'm a martial artist. If it happens [with] the right timing and everything, I fight whoever they want. I can fight everyone in the world. I don't mind."

Thanks to Mission Skincare for helping Cagewriter track down GSP. St. Pierre along with David Wright, Steve Nash, Serena Williams, Amanda Beard, Alonzo Mourning and Sergio Garcia is part of the Mission Athlete Care team. Mission is offering a Yahoo readers 30 percent off their MISSION orders. Just use the code GSP4VIP30. All the profits from online sales go to the "M Foundation" in its efforts to support young athletes.

St. Pierre was strong in his denial that he's shying away from a Silva fight.

"That's not what I said. It's a complete re-orientation of my career. People are saying crazy stuff, 'oh, he just has to gain 30 pounds and take the fight and fight him in three months.' I can't get 30 pounds in three months. It would take a lot more than that. If I want to go up in weight class," said St. Pierre.

There's a lot that goes into the decision to jump from 170 to 185 pounds.

"Plus, Silva fights at light heavyweight as well. So he walks around at … he's probably 40 pounds heavier than I am," St. Pierre said. "So if I fight this fight, it might be at a catch weight. If it happens."

GSP's career is rolling. He's got some big-time endorsement deals. What happens if he leaves the welterweight division and becomes an ordinary fighter at 185?

"I've had a lot of success at 170. If I move to 185, I need to talk to my sponsors, my trainers. It's a complete change of life," St. Pierre said. "Do I want to take the risk, maybe yes. It's gonna be a great challenge. Maybe, no. But I have to talk with my trainers."
Just stay at WW gsp. If you move weight classes the WW division pretty much loses credibility. No champion can be happy only having the title because the real champion left the weight class.

#56 ·
Silva said he'd drop to 170 for the fight. White has mentioned 185, 170, and catchweight. GSP is living fixated on 185. The guy talks about being ever evolving and futher challenging himself, and then the biggest challenge that ever could present itself comes to life, and he skampers away, then says he's not skampering away.

To quote a MW who also knows the struggle of a scared opponent:

#57 ·
I agree. I dont think people understand the magnitude of this fight. This is potentially a once in a life time opportunity to see the pound for pound number 1 and p4p number 2 in back to back weight classes! Do you guys understand just how rare this is in combat sports?

This would be the biggest MMA fight EVER. The two very best fighters only one weight class apart, fighting for the ultimate number one spot. We are unlikely to ever really see some thing like this again.

And yes, catchweight would be perfect. I think if GSP stops this fight from happening then after he has retired and in years to come it will haunt him. He will always be thinking what if? Because GSP will always be second best to Anderson in the rankings. The majority of fans/journalist have Anderson Silva as the number one. How can GSP not be hungry for this? How can the fans not be hungry for this?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.