MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How much did Bellator influence the UFC/SF deal?

View Single Post

Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squirrelfighter
Squirrel Fighting Champ

Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
I think if it did it was pretty far down the list of reasons why the UFC would buy Strikeforce. If it was such a big deal, they would have gone after Bellator, not Strikeforce.

The UFC doesn't have to worry about Bellator's MTV contract, because the UFC has commercials on MTV all the time for PPVs, as well as the general MMA fanbase, only to a fractional degree, translates over the MTV fanbase (the lesser half of the 18-40 bracket). Not to mention UFC commercials possibly during Strikeforce events, and vice versa.

Buying Strikeforce gets the UFC great access to TOP talent. Something Bellator lacks on a larger scale.

Bellator isn't "the big leagues" of MMA in my opinion. To be in the big leagues, you need top talent. The local cable sports access channel will play local MMA reruns (Which I DVR!!!). They are no more in the big leagues than Bellator. Bellator has just had higher level fighters, so they've made enough waves to scoop up a solid deal with a cable station. The same situation as EliteXC and Strikeforce.

The best analogy I can think of to describe the relationship between Bellator and the UFC is: The flea on the lions back.

Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. Thatís it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote