MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Manager: Anderson Silva Wouldn't Have a Problem Fighting GSP at a Catcweight

View Single Post

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #86 (permalink)
Mckeever
Banned

Mckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Few key differences.

In boxing weight classes are ALOT closer in weight.

If i remember correctly the weight difference was that of 6 pounds?? Pac was like 144 and mar was 150?? Iv seen people in MMA give out 30-40 pounds.

In boxing physical strength does not play nearly as big of a difference as it does in MMA. (Many fighters have said this, on top of my head i can think of Musasi) In MMA body to body contact is an extremely important aspect. In boxing it doesnt play nearly as big of a part for the sheer reason that the main aspect of boxing is punching and moving. So 15 pounds in boxing wont make nearly the difference then 15 pounds would if you have that person laying on top of you.

If GSP took the fight as quick as everyone wants him to then there is a good chance that Silva would be 20-25pounds heavier then GSP come fight time. If GSP did things the right way and take a year to bulk up. Anderson Silva would still have a healthy 5-10 pounds on him and lets not ignore the Height and reach advantage. GSP would have to swing UPWARD while Silva would be swinging in a perfect straight should length line. GSP's face could not be a better jab target.

ALL OF THIS means that GSP going up to MW is silly and pointless. I want to see GSP challenge himself by keeping the belt for another 5-10 years which could mean another 15-30 fights. Then retire on top.

THAT WOULD BE A LEGENDARY MMA FIGHTER. GO DOWN WITH THE GREATS LIKE BRUCE LEE!!
6 Pounds? Did you watch the fight? The difference was enormous. Manny has moved through multiple weight classes, not just one:

Margarito had a big reach advantage over Manny, didnt stop Pacman from doing his thing.

Heres the thing. GSP is stronger than Anderson, so it kind of negates that point. On top of that, he also has the best MMA wrestling in the game. GSP would have no problem double legging Andy and dumping him onto the mat. He'd have no problem with him in the clinch against the cage either. Anderson maybe the bigger man, but the strength goes to GSP here. Anderson maskes up for it with his long limbs, elusiveness and reach advantage.

GSP should have been preparing and thinking about this fight for a long time now. Now he wants another full year to bulk up properly.

I also mentioned BJ Penn who is an MMA fighter and has won the belt at welterweitght. As some one pointd out earlier, i dont remember people trying to hold BJ back when he wanted to move up and fight GSP, it was fine for BJ (who is a small lightweight) to move up and challenge the p4p best, but GSP moving up its another story.

You will never see a fight of this magnitude in MMA where the two very best are only separated by one weight class. How can you want to see GSP steam roll through the WW "contenders" for another year or two, rather than see the real challenge and the biggest fight in MMA history?
Mckeever is offline   Reply With Quote