MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - As UFC continues New York legislation push, White again harps on safety record

View Single Post

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
SmackyBear
Bantamweight

SmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Whats the common theme of what your stating? Either they were unaware of their injuries or they hid them from their team. In a professional fight BOTH fighters are checked for PCS and dilated pupils. I am sure a fighter would try to get away with it if they could but chances are they won't, especially with the athletic commissions checking up on fighters before, immediately after and shortly after a fight.
So what? Iuanes said players get concussed, "shake it off," then come back for more and they totally do.

Players lying or staffs being unaware is a theme, but it's not common throughout all of the examples. And it doesn't disprove Iuanes' point that you strenuously disagreed with.

Aaron Rodgers was diagnosed with his concussion and played the next game. As was Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

Quote:
Three years ago, when he was at UCLA, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute sustained a concussion that kept him off the basketball court for eight days, until he completed a series of neurocognitive tests.

That's why the Bucks forward was so surprised when all he needed to return this season following a mild concussion was simply his word to the training staff.

"I didn't have to do any tests because we were on the road and doctors were here," Mbah a Moute said. "They just asked me how I was feeling, and I told them I was feeling better. They were like, 'You're fine."'

Mbah a Moute said he knocked heads with a Dallas defender on Jan. 1 and returned three days later, despite some soreness on his left side of his head. The experience has made him think there should be a league-wide policy to handle every concussion.

"There should be standards in the NBA. You need to do these tests and pass these tests before you can come back on the court. Bottom line. We definitely don't get as bad concussions as football and other sports, but a concussion is a concussion," Mbah a Moute said. "It's a serious injury and there should be tests."
Aaron Rogers passed his tests between the Washington and Miami games, but still, he was allowed to assume a position the NFL now calls defenseless seven days after a concussion.

Iuanes said players in contact sports take big hits, and come back for more the next week, or the next day.

You called that extremely uneducated, said it doesn't happen and asked for examples.

Those are two examples I remembered from just this year. They were diagnosed, and neither missed time. They didn't play the next day, but they did play the next game.

More examples of NFL players who didn't even miss one game after suffering a concussion and being diagnosed: Matt Moore, Marcus Trufant, Jason Witten, Willis McGahee, Tony Scheffler, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Cribbs, and Chris Cooley.

That seems like a lot, and it's only for the first six weeks of the season...

Do you want an example of a player suffering a concussion, being examined by the trainers and doctors, not lying to them and then returned to the game?

How about Kevin Kolb? First game of the year, gets sacked and concussed, looked at by medical staff, and comes in for the next series. Luckily, they had a three and out, he didn't get hit by Matthews again, and the medical staff realized what was wrong before the next series.

His teammate wasn't so lucky. Stewart Bradley was concussed a few plays after Kolb, and despite struggling to get up and stumbling like a drunken sailor in a hurricane, sat out just a couple plays and returned for the rest of the series. Unlike Kolb, he was playing linebacker, and kept making contact. After getting hit a few more times, the medical staff examined him again and realized he had amnesia.

Two players getting concussed and returning to play in the same game... They were both examined and neither of them lied. They were still put in tremendous danger (e.g. second impact syndrome) even if their team didn't mean to do it.