MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Jon Jones Talks UFC 128 Strategy, Beating Shogun Rua in the Clinch

View Single Post

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
SM33
SPEED KILLS

SM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World RenownSM33 Is World Renown
This could be a good formula for Jones, providing that if he get's a decent clinch, he uses it to get a takedown ASAP, not try for strikes because he will get countered. Either way, I'm 99% sure he will eat shots on the way in, and 100% sure that Shogun has big tricks up his sleeve for a ground situation.

I don't like Jon's talk of standing with Rua, because I think he actually means it... Shogun will land strikes no matter what distance Jon tries to maintain, there is no striking/stand up situation in this fight where Jones has any kind of advantage, he's not good enough to know how to use his length so it is irrelevant. He needs to get it down, stay calm and try to work for good positions.

I think Jones more dictates where the fight goes, but Rua much more dictates how the fight ends.