Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Breaking into M.M.A. Training Log

154K views 2K replies 38 participants last post by  KevinD 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I've been mostly lurking these forums for awhile now. A little introduction: I'm 20 years old, just wrapping up doing a little world travel. While I was in Thailand I got involved with a Muay Thai training camp called Tiger Muay Thai, and trained pretty hard for a month and loved it. I decided to see where this passion can take me, and have decided to aim to fight in my first M.M.A. fight at a local amateur venue in my town called Valley Fight this coming December. This means I have a lot of work to do.

I will be training at a local M.M.A. gym called Revolution Chilliwack, as well as training with my friend who also wants to fight within the year.

I'm 20 years old, Southpaw, 6'4 about 195lbs, muscular build from years of weightlifting (I've got an enormous journal on a bodybuilding website but alas, there's no point talking M.M.A. on a bodybuilding forum, so here I am) but relatively weak cardio, other weaknesses include an occassional occurence of shin splints and contact lenses. I've only trained Muay Thai for a month and that's basically all my training besides a bit of self taught boxing.

I'm wrapping up my travels now, sitting in Bangkok for a few more days. I checked out a nearby Muay Thai gym but it was a hole in the ground with some mats and wasn't cheap, so **** it. I'm doing bodyweight exercises and shadowboxing in my room to help maintain what I can.

I go home soon so training resumes on August 1st as I enroll in the MMA gym back home and in addition begin my own training with a partner to keep the total training time to about 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Training is 4 weeks on followed by 1 week rest, each week is 5 days training, alternating between 2 days set out like this:

Day 1 - Technique
Stretch
Shadowboxing
Hit Pads
Standup Sparring
Rolling
Stretch
Go to class

Day 2 - Conditioning
Stretch
Skipping
Weight Training (Divided into Push/Pull/Leg days focusing on functional strength, explosive power, and endurance.)
Heavy Bag
Speed Bag
Stretch
Go to class

Classes are as follows:
Mon - Beginner Jiu-Jitsu
Tue - M.M.A.
Wed - Beginner Jiu-Jitsu
Thur - Boxing + Muay Thai
Fri - Boxing + Muay Thai + M.M.A
Sat - Rest
Sun - Rest

Going to ease myself into it and build momentum; first week just go to the classes, second week go to the classes and do training every second day, then by the third I'm doing the full routine. Also going to start light on my weights and build momentum over the weeks as powerlifters do.

I've also wrote up a flexible diet that I believe I can maintain pretty easily. I'll add the details once I've gone through with it for awhile in case any changes need to be made. What's important is the 6000 mostly healthy calories to exceed my maintenance level for a gradual weight gain.

Supplements are Protein/Creatine Monohydrate/Multivitamin/Fish Oil, considering a pre-workout supp like N.O. Xplode but don't really need the extra hit to the wallet or a caffeine dependency, so we'll see on that one.

I picked up all my gear to train out here in Thailand for nice and cheap. Got 16oz gloves, shin guards, wraps, mouth guard, and headgear. My friend has bought all of these things as well as some Thai kicking pads and a round timer, so we're all equipped and ready to go.

I'm aiming for December for my premier amateur M.M.A. bout. Wish me luck and feel free to pass on advice. I'm gonna tear a hole into this guy. :thumb02:

Some relevant links
Tiger Muay Thai, Phuket, Thailand:http://www.tigermuaythai.com
Revolution Chilliwack, Chilliwack, Canada:http://www.revolutionfightteam.com
Valley Fight, Chilliwack, Canada:http://www.valleyfight.com

See less See more
#1,370 ·
BJJ

Super tired because my sleepings all out of wack from work/caffeine. Technique was a leg weave to reguard when someone tries a one side stack pass, and a second option of pushing on the elbow and hipping away to reguard. This looked neat but felt counter-intuintive when I tried it and I felt pretty dumb. Oh well. Did guard pass drills and then rolled. Got a nice spider guard->triangle->sweep->armbar but everything else was pretty meh. I'll get some sleep tonight and go in fresh for one tomorrow.

#1,372 ·
BJJ

Our other instructor, Thomas is back from knee surgery. He killed us with a warm up, then technique was a pass focusing on getting control of the legs first and not getting tangled into any guards.

First hand grabs just below the knee, other hand grabs near the groin. Drive the knee grip to the mat and walk sideways to that side until you clear the leg, then basically lift them back up while you fall onto them. Kind like a torreando pass but using extended arms in place of your shoulders. Drilled from there and then rolled.

First round was a stud of a blue belt that killed me, I delayed for as long as I could but got my back taken and choked and mounted and choked. Damn him.

Next was another blue belt who started the round to initiate a pass, these always light a fire under my ass. Got a triangle, sweep, couldn't get armbar so I rolled back into the triangle and finished. Next time same thing happens but he postures out of the triangle and I switch to an omoplata right at the end of the round.

#1,374 ·
BJJ

Technique was a pass from what Thomas calls "4 Corners" it's like a scissor like half guard that uses that top knee to hold off the torso. The pass weaves an arm through the top leg and cups the bottom, twist and drop your shoulder to crush that top leg down, grab their far side sleeve to keep control, sprawl your trapped leg back, walk around to pass. Drilled that and then rolled. Did really well against a green belt, passing guards and keeping good position, got a sleeve choke from back and an armbar.

#1,375 ·
BJJ

Tech was a pass from closed guard, jump up to a stand while dragging them below you so your head is further out than yours, pinch knees and wait for the guard to open, work in elbows and sit forwards on their legs. Pick a leg to swim past and drop into side control like a wet blanket.

Rolled a green belt who I was sweeping and dominating right until he armbarred me. Twice. Rolled a brown who tried the technique from class but I kept my guard closed and worked it as high as I could, went for an armbar and immediately tried to sweep from it, got in a scramble and caught his back. Tried a sleeve choke then abandoned it and got a bow and arrow. Rolled Thomas our brown belt instructor but we did something to jerk his knee that he just has surgery on. He nevertheless caught me in the an omoplata twice, one with a finish and the other I tried to escape and ended in an armbar.. Good class.

#1,383 ·
BJJ

Technique was a sweep from de la riva. Wish me luck explaining this...from de la riva, the guy pushes your foot on his hip down to step over. You take the pushed foot and put it under your de la riva hook to support it like an X guard. Your far hard away from the X grabs the lapel and pulls them down to draw their weight forwards then you punch with that grip while extending your X out. Use the space to swim under their free leg and get under them with your hand wrapped around the knee. Extend your knee to take the de la riva hook out to put your foot on top of their knee, then slide your other knee back so that its like your feet are monkey gripping the knee, extend again with your legs, post on an elbow and then come up with their other leg on your shoulder, then do a technical standup. Actually suprised myself and made this work.

Drilled from de la riva a bunch, then rolled. Got controlled by a blue, and then rolled our instructor Thomas and got controlled and submitted 3 or 4 times.

Good class but I feel a major sprain in a finger :(

#1,386 ·
BJJ

Technique was a mount from side control. From cross face, slide knee under their nearest arm, grab their nearest knee and drive away to the floor, slide shin over both knees to the floor while bringing your forehead over to the mat. Keep this position while trapping their head and dragging it to the opposite direction to prevent reguard/half guard. When they're bent out of position, slap the foot over into mount. Positional sparring. My knee was bleeding because of a scrape on my knee that just won't heal up, hopefully some liquid bandage will help make it go away.

#1,388 ·
BJJ

Tech was a de la riva pass. Grip both pant legs, step back and straighten the de la riva'd leg. Push both grips to the ground, step around/over with the leg that you stepped back with. Pressure down on croth with knee, same side arm grabs the lapel and keeps their leg outside. Move your knee to their other side leg to drive it to the ground, keeping your weight on your hip on top of them, lapel grip changes to a far side underhook. Pull the sleeves and slide the knee through for pass.

Positional drilling from de la riva, then had a roll with a purple, no subs, losing positionally.

#1,390 ·
BJJ

Bunch of people competing at worlds this week. Just rolling today. Rolled two blues, a green, two purples, and Thomas the instructor who apparently has a match with Keenan Cornelius next month? Anyways, he always calls me Keenan because I look like him. I was a pretty futile poser Keenan and got collar choked twice and armbarred once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.