Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Jose Aldo doesn't think Mark Hominick presents any problems

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  marcthegame 
#1 ·
When dominant UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo steps inside the Octagon at UFC 129 in Montreal, he'll be doing so for the first time in his career.

The highly accomplished 24-year old featherweight kingpin has been dominant since entering the now defunct Zuffa-backed, UFC absorbed WEC promotion in the summer of 2008. Aldo (17-1) is a finishing machine. The lightening quick Brazilian has reeled off 11-straight victories with 7 coming via highlight reel KO/TKO. He's set to take on noted striker Mark Hominick next and while the always respectful Aldo believes Hominick is deserving of a title shot, he doesn't see the veteran presenting any problems for him in the cage.

"Man, he has a very good standup, everyone knows; but I'm telling you: I do not see any problems," Aldo recently told Tatame.com. I'm training right. I respect him, he is a great fighter and has earned the chance to be vying for the title."

Much has been made of Kenny Florian's quest for a fight with the young champion. Florian was first in line to welcome Aldo to the UFC lightweight division when a rumored move up to 155 was being discussed, but now that Aldo has apparently decided to stay put and with Florian's career stalled at lightweight, Florian has decided to drop to featherweight and chase Aldo in his own weight class.

The Boston native recently told FiveKnuckles.com that he planned to beat Aldo's good friend and teammate Diego Nunes first at UFC before winning the strap against Aldo in his next fight and then returning to the lightweight division.

Aldo believes that Florian is underestimating the 16-1 Nunes.

"I think Kenny doesn't knows who Diego is," Aldo said. "Diego is a very tough guy, with experience, with many fights and always he's always getting better. He has no notion of who is Diego. He will give him a welcome card [to the featherweight division]. Kenny Florian will be surprised with this (weight) change also, but I will not belittle the guy. A fight is fight; he fought for the UFC belt, but I think it is a victory for Diego."

Lately, the electric Aldo has become used to fighting on the main event of WEC cards, but he'll take a step back in his next outing with Georges St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields headlining and Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida co-headlining the UFC 129 fight card.

Aldo expects both to be good fights.

"Good fights, I expect two good fights," Aldo said. "I'm rooting for Machida, who is struggling. Randy is a great champion; you must have all due respect. He's a guy who has done much for the sport, but I expect a good fight and Lyoto to come out as the winner. The fight between Georges and Jake, I also hope it will be a good fight. It makes no difference to me, the best will win and who has prepared best, but I hope Machida wins."
http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Jose-Aldo-doesnt-think-Mark-Hominick-presents-any-problems.html

He's 100 percent right. Does anyone see any scenario that doesn't end in an Aldo KO by the end of the 2nd or 3rd round?

#3 ·
If Aldo really believes that he is in big trouble. While Aldo has not looked even remotely vulnerable on his feet, Hominick is by a fairly solid margin the best striker Aldo has drawn in his career. If Aldo doesn't show the Machine some respect Aldo may very well pay the price.

Also, edited your post please follow proper format when posting links to articles.

#11 ·
i really dont see how ppl think hominick is actually a threat to aldo standing, even more so since the argument they use to back themselves is ''well aldo has never faced an elite striker before''

um...ok...and hominick has? both havent faced great strikers, though aldo has faced better opponents and wrecked them easily, not only that but his MT is simply much better, you dont need to put them against each other to see that

both have great striking redardless of the outcome, but i really think ppl are overrating hominick and underrating aldo just because they dont want him to win IMO

aldo is the more proven fighter, and i think its clear as day his striking is on another level, just like it was pretty obvious how AS' striking is better than vitors, he just hadnt proved it yet

aldo will wreck hominick and for some strange reason will be the biggest win in his career and the wagon will start getting pretty crowded:thumb02:

#12 ·
If your gonna take the time to shit on Aldo's character, you could at least spend the extra minute actually reading the article !! It's very clear that some of you didn't :thumbsdown:

Aldo sounds confident, but there's no way he'll be taking his first UFC fight lightly.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sick of people calling fighters arrogant for believing in themselves. He gave Hominick his props it wasn't disrespectful. I'm sure Hominick believes he will weave in and out liver punching a mother fucker all night long and walk out with the belt. People who don't believe they are the best going into a fight are more likely to break in the face of adversity.

If you want to be a legendary champion that has to be unwavering also. Guys like Frankie and Andy have shown they have that kind of confidence and I believe Hominick will put Aldo to that test.

I think Nunes runs through Kenny.

#15 · (Edited)
Absolutely.

An Aldo sub by the end of 2nd or 3rd round.

Hominick has no chance, he's barely fought anyone worth noting, he will get eaten alive.
Hominick has fought some of the best guys in the world at multiple weight classes.

His problem is that he's lost a good number of those fights.

Also, on a serious note, I don't really see much problems for Aldo here. Hominick is a great MMA striker but he's fairly uni-disciplined as well, not the greatest Thai defense and his offense is almost exclusive boxing.

Aldo is so young and has been training with guys like Andy Souwer....and when you are THAT much more athletic than everyone else it makes a big difference doing that type of training on technique.

Aldo has also faced dangerous strikers before, Uriah Faber and Cub Swanson are good technical kickboxers, and athletic ones as well, then there is a guy like Shoji Maruyama who was a very dangerous striker with big, big power.

This should be a showcase fight for Aldo. Hard to predict what he will do, but it would be a good strategy I believe to take Hominick down and grapple.

#29 ·
Anyone getting mad at what jose aldo is saying need to think about this. Aldo trains with silva,machida, nogs...u really think aldo cares about hominick's striking abilities. O ya i forgot junior dos santos. These guys are a professional fighters they don;t go in there to lose. In there mind they can beat anyone, asking them to be scared or admitting they can lose to an opponent is crazy. On paper this fight is a mismatch so if aldo can say what he wants. At the end of the day he should win this fight, if he loses then you can hate on him and people like me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.