Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chael Sonnen Sentenced to Probation, $10,000 Fine

4K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Kreed 
#1 ·
Chiappetta
MMA Writer
Chael Sonnen can finally start looking forward to the next phase of his life after a U.S. District Court handed down his penalty for a guilty plea stemming from a money laundering case.

U.S. attorney's office spokesperson Gerri Badden told MMA Fighting that Sonnen was sentenced on Friday to 24 months probation, a $10,000 fine, and forfeiture of his real estate license as the result of his Jan. 3 guilty plea.

In his plea, Sonnen admitted that he was part of a financial transaction that was conducted or designed to disguise the ownership of funds due to wire fraud. The charge had carried a possible fine of up to 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

Sonnen was sentenced in the case by Judge Michael W. Mosman in the district of Oregon's Portland courts.

The sentencing hopefully closes the latest chapter in a rocky road for the UFC middleweight contender, who back in August was just minutes away from capturing the championship before submitting in the fifth round in a fight against Anderson Silva. Afterward, Sonnen's drug test came back with high levels of testosterone/epitestosterone, leading to a steroids suspension that has since been served.

His contract was eventually frozen by the UFC, with company president Dana White saying Sonnen would not be in the company's plans until he took care of his legal problems.

Though the terms of his probation are as of yet unknown, Sonnen's management team has voiced a hope that he could re-start his career soon after sentencing. Fresh off his steroids suspension though, he will likely have to appear before any state sanctioning committee to earn a fighter's license before officially returning to the cage.

Sonnen (25-11-1) turned 34 years old last week.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/08/chael-sonnen-sentenced-to-probation-10-000-fine-in-laundering/

#19 ·
its insane how much love Chael seems to get around here (i suspect some, but not all, is tongue in cheek). The man is a cheating, devious, lying scumbag.

The problem is, i cant help but like him too :)

#20 ·
I don't understand the love for Chael either.

He's a boring fighter (more so than Fitch? probably not), has weak hands, and is an all around douche.

Although I do like him more after his loss to Anderson Silva and look forward to his return to the octagon.

#21 ·
it is strange like you say, that fighters such as fitch and bisping get substantially more hate whilst being nowhere near the moron that Chael manages to be on a consistent basis.

Either wy, i'm just going to chalk it up to one of lifes mysteries and wait with baited breath until his next epic tirade.

#22 ·
He got off way too easy! Chael will forever be on top of my least favorite fighters list (next to Thiago Silva of course).

Anyways, isn't it a little too soon to be celebrating Chael's imminent return! There's still the matter of Chael renewing his license and that lying scumbag has a lot to answer for!

#34 ·
Its hilarious reading all the posts of ppl practically sighing in relief that this racist piece of scum got off lightly..This guy is a criminal ppl, u all get anal over the mere hint that an athlete has confidence in his abilities but advocate for a serial cheat like this?

Something doesnt add up here

#35 ·
dont like him, hope bisping beats him. but like everyone im a sucker for hype and will be interested to watch him fight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.