Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Martin Kampmann Meets John Howard at UFC on Versus 4

2K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  AOD 
#1 ·
Two welterweights looking to avoid three losses in a row will meet at UFC on Versus 4. Martin Kampmann will face John Howard in a bout on the fight card set for Pittsburgh on June 26.

The UFC made the official announcement about the fight on Wednesday.

Kampmann (17-5) technically enters his next fight on a two-fight losing streak, but the context of those losses should be noted. The first was a split decision loss to current UFC welterweight title contender Jake Shields, in which Kampmann definitely had his moments against the fighter who will challenge champion Georges St-Pierre at UFC 129.

The second loss was a controversial decision to Diego Sanchez back in March. When the fight was over, Sanchez was left a bloody mess, but the judges scored the fight in his favor, leaving Kampmann with a loss. Now he’ll look for a bit of redemption in June.

John Howard (14-6) has also had a mishap or two on his way to consecutive losses. While there was no doubt Howard came up short in his last fight against Thiago Alves, he didn’t really get to finish his fight against Jake Ellenberger last August.

A gigantic mouse appeared on Howard’s eye during the fight, and the ringside doctor felt it best to stop the action. Howard obviously wanted to continue, but medically, it just didn’t seem prudent to the medical staff.

Howard has been trying to land in a fight against rival Anthony Johnson, but it appears the UFC has other plans.

Kampmann vs. Howard will take place at UFC on Versus 4 in June, but there’s been no word if the fight will grace the main card or not.

http://mmaweekly.com/the-hitman-vs-doomsday-martin-kampmann-meets-john-howard-at-ufc-on-versus-4

Hm. Didn't see that coming.

#8 ·
Maybe Kampmann's TDD will come into play. John Howard is pretty game, I agree he'll likely be outclassed here.

But with the way Kampmann has been lately (sort of Mousasi-esque), who knows how he'll actually look.

#9 ·
Kampmann lacks killer instinct and fails to put the pressure on when he should. Sure, he's quite technical, but he really needs to make some big changes to his game.

This could be a close one, but i'll take Kampmann.

#10 ·
Damn...i was looking forward to Rumble vs Howard honestly.

Great smalk talk before Rumble's injurty lay off and now reignited after his win over Hardy. I thought it will finally happen.

Ooh well...this one is good also.
I'll give the edge to Kampmann. He is the more complete fighter out of these two, no doubt.

But, i don't see it as a walk in the park either. Howard stayed strong against Alves and showed heart and determination.

Should be a great fight, with kampmann dominating.
UD or a late sub.

PS: just curious...where does that leave Rumble?! Diego maybe?! :D

#16 ·
This is kind of interesting. John Howard has some power in his hands. What if Kampmann gets caught? He should easily out strike Howard, but I wonder if he would get released if he happened to get caught and finished some time in the fight. Probably not because of his last two fights being so close.

It seems like they are giving Howard a tough road lately. He loses against Ellenberger and against Alves, two tough opponents. Then they give him Kampmann. They aren't making it easy for him to get back into the winning column. He might get released if he loses this fight, but there is no shame losing to a top 15 welterweight fighter in Ellenberger, and two top 10 welterweight fighters in Alves and Kampmann. Those two are arguably top 5 welterweights even. If he loses this fight, he might be able to stay in the UFC if they take the tough competition he has been facing into consideration.

#18 ·
This is kind of interesting. John Howard has some power in his hands. What if Kampmann gets caught? He should easily out strike Howard, but I wonder if he would get released if he happened to get caught and finished some time in the fight. Probably not because of his last two fights being so close.
Kampmann has one of the most outrageous chins in the sport. How often do you see a standing KO in the UFC? He got rocked over and over by Paul Daley and wouldn't go down. And he took bombs from Drew McFedries and ended up giving it right back to him, taking him down and subbing him. He's like a little Dutch Rockey Balboa. Howard doesn't have the technique of Daley or the power of McFedries.

#20 ·
Time for Kampmann to get back on it with a win and prove how good he is. Very rarely is he out of a fight but I get so frustrated watching him on occasion as sometimes he seems determined to try beat the opposition at "their game" instead of utilising his own strengths.

Hopefully he will come with the fire, stand up and not try show he is a jack of all trades when he should be knocking Howards ass out ... plain and simple.

Reactions: TheJame
#21 ·
Although your name is awesome and I repped you for it, your post makes no sense. Kampmann standing up with Howard would moreso play into Howard's strengths as he's a Muay Thai guy with more speed and exposive power in his strikes.

Kampmann could easily control Howard on the ground, and possibly submit him. For someone who was almost strictly a kickboxer a few years ago, Kampmann is slick as hell on the ground.

#22 ·
Kampmann is definitely more skilled in every area, but there's some pressure on him in this one. Howard however, lost to Alves but is now getting another crack at a big name, he has not a lot to lose and everything to gain, but should he win this, I can't see him going far.

#23 ·
Kampmann should win this but who knows, the guy won his last two fights only to be given the loss by the judges. This is not a fair fight, expect Howard to be completely outclassed where ever this fight goes.

#27 ·
Kampmann didn't beat Shields, not even close IMO. Dana White agrees; the judge who gave the fight to Kampmann was out of his mind.

Kampmann looked like he did a ton of damage because when he landed the knee (or two?) on Shields, Shields shot for a take-down and it looked like he dropped him. Besides that he let a guy who gassed in 70 seconds control him the whole fight.

#28 ·
How was he controlling him, Kampmann was going for sub attempts left and right, sweeping Shields, defending TD's and winning the stand up. All Shields has was TD's because other than that Kampmann whooped him.

#30 ·
I watched it a couple times after the fight but haven't seen it in forever. I remember thinking that had Shields not maintained his composure and looked so relaxed every time Kampmann went for a sub the scoring would have looked drastically different.

#31 ·
I think you might be right about Shields' composure. But I also think if Shields hadn't shot for the double when he got kneed, making it look like he got dropped, it also wouldn't have been a split decision.

But it's been a long time since I've seen it too. All I know is Shields was looking at the clock, gassed, not three minutes in and he still imposed his will on Kampmann.

#32 ·
The obvious choice here would be Kampmann but I wouldn't be so sure about it. Howard hits pretty damn hard and while he was outclassed by Thiago Alves on the feet, I just don't see Kampmann giving him the same problems. We all saw what happened to Kampann when he went up against a heavy handed Paul Daley.

#36 ·
This is gonna be fireworks. Kampmann looks like he could cut down to 155lbs though. Problem with him is, he's just not that cerebral of a fighter. If he did his homework against Daley he could have used his underated ground game against em. Shields well, can't complain cuz I had money on Shields even though I knew Kampmann was very close to winning.

He comes in with poor game planning coupled with some bad luck I think...

#37 ·
I am really not sure it has anything to do with him having bad game planning. Paul Daley has decent enough TDD. Just because you get taken down by Kos doesn't mean you have bad TDD, Kos is one of the best. Kampmann doesn't have great takedowns. I'm not sure he would have had a much success taking Daley down in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.