Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Nick Diaz turns down Zuffa.

4K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  duckyou666 
#1 ·
But not only did Diaz and Gracie get Scott Coker to change ink on paper, they actually refused to sign a contract with Zuffa. After the sale of Strikeforce, it was reported that fighters on the SF roster were being asked to sign contracts with their new corporate overlords. It sounded like a high-pressure move, but apparently you can say no if you don’t have much to lose. As Gracie explained:

“[Diaz] thinks Jake will probably beat GSP, so it kind of makes a moot point of him going up (to the UFC),” Gracie said. “(He’s) just kind of not happy with the landscape. He’s just weighing options right now.”

In any event, Gracie said he’s been working directly with UFC parent company Zuffa LLC on the direction of Diaz’s career. He said he hasn’t spoken to Coker, who sold Strikeforce to the UFC back in March, on recent developments.

“I don’t even know how much in charge of things he is any more,” Gracie said. “Ultimately, it’s going to have to go through the UFC, so the only people to talk about it with would be them. What am I going to talk to Scott about? He doesn’t own anything any more.”
http://www.cagepotato.com/nick-diaz...rtinez-possibly-in-diaz-snubs-zuffa-contract/

I'm still not a fan, but I've gotta give the man his props, he's top ten but he's still not on the same level as GSP, Fitch, and Alves.

#4 ·
Who cares about the wrestlers ^, lol.

I have a feeling Diaz will get a big fight soon. Dana White is the man we're dealing with now, and he makes us happy for the most part.

#7 ·
Because he's a huge name and has had a pretty exciting rise to the top, beating some of the top LHWs. Why shouldn't he earn a big wage?

Diaz is probably looking for a big money contract because he knows he'll get dominated by various UFC welterweights and so his hype will be short lived. These days wrestlers have sub defense (minus Chael Sonnen) and can simply take guys down and grind them down for 3 or 5 rounds. It's ugly, but it works.

Diaz would get the wrestling treatment from so many fighters, and to be honest I think someone like Alves who bothers to use leg kicks would beat him up standing too.

GSP, Fitch, Alves, Kos, Shields, Rumble, Stun Gun...

I'd fancy all these guys to beat Diaz quite comfortable. There's probably more too.

#9 ·
I hate nick diaz but the man should be paid whatever he wants. I prefer watching diaz over gsp anyday simple because i want to see him get smash. Diaz is not only a shit talker inside and outside the ring which is highly entertaining but over the year he has become a great fighter. I am convice diaz could beat gsp based on the fact that he has proved me wrong every time he fights. If Diaz goes to boxing that cockiness with the potnetial of him being good could make him a superstar in boxing. We all hate mayweather but diaz's cockiness is on a different level.

#11 ·
Apart from Diaz fans no one should care , he wasnt going to be champion and he would lost convincingly to guys like Kos , Fitch and GSP. I would even go as far to say Alves would Penn beat him.

The guy is Talented but his head aint in MMA , i have no time for people who say things like this

"I don’t see much of a future in this sport for me. I’m signed into a contract I don’t know anything about. All I know is my life is a living Hell full of training… I cater to everybody else."
He is also a very vile person and will not be missed , i sincerely hope he puts a good showing in his Boxing match so he doesnt embarrass the sport.

#19 ·
They can promote that fight like mad.... MMA vs Boxing. He'll definitely get more than any mma fight he's had to date otherwise he wouldn't agree to it, that's for sure.

#23 ·
I really wish you guys wouldn't argue things you don't know anything about.

Diaz doesn't know shit about anything. Literally, the stupid **** hasn't even read his own damn contract.

He's also proven he's incredibly deluded and thinks he'll be making as money as Pacquiao.

Vargas couldn't pass his physical, but even if he was, first of all, no promoters would bother to spend money to market that fight, because Vargas isn't really a big deal, he's exceptionally fat and washed up and no one knows who the **** Nick Diaz is. That fight would probably do 100k buys at absolute best.

As I said, that fight wouldn't even make PPV.

Secondly, he's looking now at Martinez, Lacy and Mayorga.

SHowing how deluded he is again....

Martinez won't fight him, he's a 1-0 nobody and Martinez is one of the best in the world.

Lacy barely is super washed up and almost equally unknown. The dude headlined fights in his prime and made less money than Diaz is making now, let alone put together.

Mayorga would be his best option, but there's no way Mayorga is going to give him a 50/50 split. And there's no way that fight makes PPV. Purse for that fight might be 750,000 at best with Diaz taking maybe 200k if hes lucky. Which is about, or less than he makes now.

#25 ·
Clearly you dont do your homework :confused05:

Henry Buchanan his opponent is a the equivalent of Patrick Cote , sure he will win a few a fights vs Lower level guys but when he fights any guys on the fringe or above gets totally outclassed. Basically he just fills the division only i actually think Cote is alot more talented than Sugar POO as Vargas's opponent is called :confused02:

A win for either man is nothing to scream about , its a payday for Vargas and just a semi big name of an over the hill fighter on his resume for the other .

#32 ·
The more I think about it, you're probably right. To us, a Nick Diaz is somebody, but step outside a mma forum and you'd be lucky to get 1 out of 10 people that know of him.

#33 ·
It is that, but it is also this extremely exaggerated sentiment on how much boxers get paid.

Sure, boxers get paid more than MMA fighters, but Diaz is one of the top earners.

How is he going to make millions fighting guys that don't make over a million fighting OTHER top fighters. Mayorga, who he wants to fight, made 500k on a PPV with one of the most popular fighters in the sport, Miguel Cotto, who earned a cool million.

Only Mayweather, Pacquiao, the Klitschkos, maybe Haye and whoever they fight command 7 figure salaries with regularity.

Nick Diaz hasn't a prayer at making over 6, and once again, he'd be lucky to make a dollar more than his current salary, considering no legit fighter is going to give an unknown, 1-0 fighter a 50-50 split.

#39 ·
Greed isnt the reason Floyd is turning the fight down he is turning it down because he knows Pacman will not wilt or lose heart , Mayweather is a master of making ugly fights but Pacman will just throw to much and Floyd will be too inactive to win any rounds.

The more Floyd waits the more he looks like he is scared and Pacmans stock rises.

#40 ·
Nick will never be happy.

If he won the lottery and they gave him one of those huge checks the first thing he'd say is "how the f#@$ am I going to get this into the car?"

Nick's problems with Zuffa aren't about money. It's about media obligations and drug testing.

#41 ·
Nick thinks he is a people's fighter , but he isnt he is extremely rich and there are millions of people who love to have his money , opportunities and fame. Yet he whines like he has nothing and his life sucks , try working 3 jobs like i bet some single mothers do for minimum pay.

#42 ·
Let Nick Diaz waste away at Shark Fights, or Jungle Fights, or MFC, who cares? He's an annoying fake gangsta anyway. Him turning his back on ZUFFA because he's so sure Shields is gonna win is a clear sign that he's a "special," guy. If we get very lucky, his sister Nate will follow him to waste away in some minor league organization.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.