Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Lesnar isn't broke

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SM33 
#1 · (Edited)
ESPN The Magazine recently released a list of the “Best Paid Athletes in 30 Sports.” Tops on the list for mixed martial artists was no surprise; it was former WWE Superstar and former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

The numbers listed were for official base salary or earnings from the most recently completed season or calendar year, and did not include endorsements, appearance fees, sponsorship money or other such sources of income.

In Lesnar’s case, his earnings for 2010 were listed at $5.3 million. That number only includes his salary as reported to the athletic commissions and an estimate on what he made from pay-per-view bonuses. Lesnar likely earned other bonuses, and of course, had numerous endorsements and other sources of income that were not in the tally.

While dwarfing several other sports’ top earners, that number barely puts a dent in the earnings of the top dogs in the major sports in the United States. Alex Rodriguez in baseball and Manny Pacquiao in boxing both made a reported $32 million each, while Kobe Bryant pulled down $24.8 million in the NBA, and the NFL’s Peyton Manning earned $15.8 million.

Lesnar’s earnings, at $5.3 million, were still a tremendous jump forward from what UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie earned for his victory at UFC 1. Gracie won three fights that night in a tournament format to rake in $50,000.

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads...Top-Dog-on-ESPN-30-Highest-Paid-Athletes-List

How the hell did he get to be so rich?

Full list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6391391

See less See more
#8 ·
I ******* hate jersey shore, and I've always wanted to fight mike the situation. He just looks like he'd be easy to KO.

Sicil we need some roids, fake tan and brain damage then we to could be rich

#5 ·
Lesnar isn't overpaid, you make money depending on how big of a ppv you draw.

GSP draws just a little under Lesnar in terms of PPV buys, so he is right up there with him. I can safely say that GSP earns more then Lesnar when you take into account all the sponsorship deals.

Anderson Silva also fought twice in 2010 but his ppv numbers have always been much lower then say GSP or Lesnar.

#17 ·
Seems pretty accurate as far as I could guesstimate.

However, one of the biggest things is each fighter is not paid the same for the PPV. They each negociate their own individual rate for their PPV earning. Lesnar may be $1 for each PPV sold, whereas someone like Jim Miller might get $.15 for each PPV sold, or even less depending on how good of a deal he got. Any fighter'd still pull big bucks (.15 x 60,000 buys = $9000) which combined with his base pay, and sponsorship makes him a very comfortable man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.