MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Are kicks important in MMA?

View Single Post

Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
mastodon2222
Bantamweight

mastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankings
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamThomas View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering whether kicks are important or not in MMA?

Even though I've been training in thai boxing for 2 years I'm still not a great kicker. I'm good with my hands because I've been boxing since I was 10 years old, and I'm also pretty good at throwing knees, elbows and fighting in the clinch. It's just kicks I suck at. Also I noticed when I did MMA sparring with my muay thai instructor I was able to take him down easily whenever he tried throwing a kick higher than my waist. So yeah, are kicks important?

Also, what's the best way to fight against someone who has decent kicks when you don't?
Hell yeah, kicks are important. Just the threat of being leg-kicked prevents a good boxer from sitting down on his lead leg and bombing away, keeps em honest. Also, if you don't respect a high kick, you'll get your head kicked off.

I also suck at kicks but have good hands, and I'd suggest to focus on defending kicks more than throwing them while you focus on your boxing as your striking strength.
mastodon2222 is offline   Reply With Quote