Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Lesner the worst TUF coach ever?

9K views 74 replies 36 participants last post by  khoveraki 
#1 ·
Lesner the worst TUF coach ever? I'd say yes his coaching is beyond horrible. Has no idea what it means to lead others. How can you teach what you dont know.

#42 ·
He isn't trying to teach what he doesn't know. From what I've seen he's teaching wrestling and motivating his fighters mentally. He isn't out there trying to teach them to be striking or BJJ aces. He's actually a far better coach than I thought he would be.

Worst coach ever goes to Rampage or Shamrock. Both of them were easily way, way worse than Brock.

#44 ·
I can't even say how much I disagree with putting down the ENTIRE team after one guys bad performance.

I coach high school wrestling and I would never do half the down talking to that Brock does. Yes I know there are differences between high school wrestling and TUF. I still don't see how it will help them at all. It's going to strain them mentally and keep them from peak performance.

Again, I think Brock just shows his true colors. He puts off the douche bag "I'm so great big and bad and everyone else is less than me" personality.

#47 ·
So the guys winning had everything to do with Brock talking down on them and nothing to do with the matchups or their abilities?

Didn't he call the first guy who won chicken shit and then they lost the next fight?

By all means tell the guys who quit they did bad. I do that all the time. I never tell the whole team they are chicken shit because one guy quit. I may use him as an example. But Brock talks down about his whole team anytime anyone screws up

#46 ·
Definitely not the worst. He's actually advising his fighters while they are in the cage. However I put him in the five worst coaches.
-Rampage
-Shamrock
-Lesnar
-Ortiz
-Koscheck

The problem with Lesnar is from jump street he said his own team was chicken sh*t. It wasn't after they'd lost a few times he said it, he said it on either the first or second episode. He gave up on his own team before it even started. And the worst part is everything he says is just one cliche one liner after another. If you replace Lesnar with anyone in the world, if all he said was that cliche BS, I'd disrespect him too.

The biggest misunderstanding I'm seeing here is people assume that because someone can fight they know how to teach others to fight. GSP can kick almost anyone in the world's ass, but he didn't teach his team jack, his coaches did all the teaching he said it himself on the first episode.

The biggest reason Dos Santos is beating Lesnar is because Dos Santos is a better coach. He made his team act like a family by the second episode. He's constantly being the friend of his team, and reminding them they're all a family.

Essentially Dos Santos brought the Black House mentality to TUF, while Lesnar brought nothing to TUF but some supposedly motivating one liners.

#48 · (Edited)
Brock is just telling the truth. I'm sick of coaches or whoever on this show telling these guys that they're great, gonna be a world champ, this and that.

And while it comes off as negative, he's challenging them to prove him wrong. He's telling these guys that they are nobodies in this sport...and he's right. Make yourself into something from nothing, that's the mentality. It's a harsh way to motivate, but it's still motivating. And I wouldn't say JDS is a better coach than Brock. Of course this could be because of the whole english conflict JDS has, but to say he's "better?" Why? Because he's nicer than Brock? Get outta here with that.

You put him in the five "worst" coaches. When you say it like that, it's like you're saying he's a bad coach which he's far from. Tito wasn't a bad coach either.

The only real "bad" coaches on the show have been Koscheck, Rampage, and Shamrock.

It's just this crap late that Lesnar attracts for people to be saying this. LISTEN TO HIM COACH THE GUYS IN THE OCTAGON, people. He's not bad, at all.

#52 ·
Exactly what is motivating about telling your team they're bullsh*t, that they suck? And from day one refering to your team as chicken sh*t. Its rediculous to say that's good coaching.

JDS motivates his team obviously. There's no drama on JDS' team, and they're constantly winning. If that doesn't say he's a good coach what does?

He's one of the worst because his entire stock of fighters are getting walked through, because of poor preparation. Its obvious they don't respect him because of how he acts. Everyone knew Lesnar's fighters would come in with a chip on his shoulder because he just caught a serious beatdown. And he's done nothing to overcome that one-dimensional image. Telling everyone on his team to wrestle? Not everyone is supposed to be a wrestler.

Day one Lesnar said his team was chicken sh*t. This isn't "lately" he's been shitty. His team's been getting its ass kicked from day one, because he can't lead them. Only one of his fighters have won, there are only 3 left.

Tito was a terrible leader against Liddell. His fighters were stuck behind a man who was just trying to get into Chuck's head and didn't seem to give a sh*t about the fighters. Just like Koscheck, just like Rampage, just like Shamrock.

On top of that, coaching isn't all about barking orders while the fighter is in the octagon fighting. Its about designing a gameplan, and prepping the fighter physically and mentally for the fight. In that regard JDS is a far superior coach because he doesn't berate or attempt to demoralize his fighters. He's patient, which is why he fighters are dominating. He knows how to lead them.

#54 ·
I'm going to point something out here. Lesnar's team is not getting dominated. It's 3-2 in JDS' favor right now. Not exactly a commanding lead. His fighter's aren't dominating.

Neither of the coaches here are great coaches. Lesnar gets frustrated with his team and says things he probably shouldn't. JDS gets frustrated with his coaching staff and rifts form there. No one is going out there and being a horrible coach.

Did Lesnar berate his team? Yes and they ******* deserved it. They won't listen and his last fighter prior just gave up. Len Bentley thinks he's too damn good to listen to anything Lesnar has to say and keeps going on about his highlight (which translates to our language as horrible) fight.

Does JDS' team get along better? Yeah but there is a power struggle going on up top. Something that could jeopardize the whole team in a far worse way than a few guys not liking how Lesnar talks.

#57 ·
Brock isnt a bad coach AT ALL. Infact i like coaches like Brock alot more then coaches like JDS. My wrestling coach was a dick and called me all sorts of names. IMO it made me get thicker skin and made me work harder. That said, he was also very willing to praise me when i did a good job. The coaching i like is a coach that isnt in between. When you are sucking, he tells you you suck, when you are doing good he tells you, you are doing good. Thats the type of coach is see Brock as and thats the type of coach i can respect. You gotta remember that Brock comes from a serious wrestling background. I guarantee you the type of training Brock went through in wrestling is 3x as tough as the type of training these TUF guys are going through. If you arnt being pushed by your coach in wrestling then you are just never going to step into the elite group of wrestlers.

BOTTOM LINE
These guys need to grow thicker skin. Start respecting a fighter that with 2 years of MMA experience was able to get wins over quality opponents and capture the UFC HW title. And soak up as much wrestling as you can because wrestling is going to win you fights whether you want to take someone down or just learn how to keep it on the feet.

A coach like JDS is the type of coach i would like if im doing something for fun... not for a living.

#59 ·
Lesnar has already had two fighters win this season, so he's definitely better than Rampage, from a purely statistical standpoint. Frankly, I think he's also shown himself to be a better coach than either Rampage or Ken Shamrock was. He definitely has given more to his fighters in terms of support.

Is he a great coach? No, not really. But he's not terrible.

#60 ·
I think during the fight Brock yells much more useful comments out than JDS. In the first fight tonight you could here Lesnar yelling at his fighter to use his length while JDS just yelled "yes, yes, yes". Even through other fights Lesnar is clearly giving his fighters better advice than JDS.

#63 ·
Brock is definitely a better instructor than JDS, and it's not only because of JDS's english limits.

That Chuck dude was freaking awful. Yeah, just sit in guard while a dude throws up a lazy triangle.

Anyway, the show is 4-3 JDS, so Brock already has the same amount of wins as Rampage in one season. He's also easily a better coach than Koscheck and Shamrock....and oh my god what an AWFUL wildcard. Javier? That guy was freaking awful, no skills what so ever. Chuck, same thing.

#66 · (Edited)
I know what you mean. How did Javier get the wild card, and how did Lesnar, Dos Santos, and White all agree on him getting a spot? It seems like they pick the guys who have the best personalities or are nice for the wild card, not necessarily the guys who have the most skills. I know a lot of people are happy that Bentley didn't get a spot. Although I don't think we should let his personality get in the way of who deserves the spot. He isn't that good either, but I would pick him to beat Torres and O'Neil, even with his hurt leg. At least Len had a competitive and fun fight.

What did Torres show? He showed terrible take downs, and no clinch control. It was 2 rounds of him and Chris dancing.

O'Neil showed an okay ground game for a few minutes, but then that became irrelevant when he got submitted by a slow triangle choke. It seemed like he tapped before it was even sunk in.

I want some justification. What did these guys show other than their personalities? (O'Neil being outgoing and Torres being nice and laid back) The world may never know. I don't mean to disrespect them, I just don't think they have shown that they deserve a second chance at this point in their careers.

Anyways, I think that Lesnar has been a decent coach this season. He gives good instructions during a fight, and when his fighters listen, their effort seems to be rewarded.

#64 ·
I don't really mind seeing Chuck as the wild card, at least he had an exciting fight. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because if you're not used to fighting those long lanky dudes you can get caught in stuff like that before you know it. He got overconfident. But like Dana said, I would rather see a guy that is actively trying to finish the fight rather than just trying to win on points. Kind of odd that Dana picked Javier as well. But not a whole lot else on this season.

#65 ·
You know what, I am way behind no this seasons TUF, just have had no time to watch it, but I have it all saved ready to go when I get the chance, but I have watched the first 2 episodes and as of yet, I am yet to pick any fault with Brock's coaching what so every.

In fact if I was one of those guys I would much rather be on Brock's team than JDS's, because his focus is purly on wrestling and lets face it if the want to succeed in the UFC WW division, they are all going to have to workin more on there wrestling, in fact fcuk it lets be honest DW may as well turn round and say screw it the UFC WW division is so strong for any of you TUF Trash you might as well all just quit now.

#72 ·
I agree, Dos Santos seems to be very nice and laid back. It's hard to imagine something reaching his breaking point and having him retaliate by breaking a door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.