Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Could Dan Henderson be the answer to Jon Jones?

4K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  No_Mercy 
#1 ·
Jon Jones looks unstoppable right now but I personally think Hendo could be the man to de-thrown him. If u look at it on the feet Jones probably has the more exciting and diverse game but Hendo has one punch ko power and Jones Greco wrestling his is strongest and Hendo was olympic level in Greco. The only place I see Jones having a real advantage is submissions and he has to get him down first

#35 ·
One thing I have learned in MMA is never be too quick to say there is no one who can beat someone. The only fighter in MMA that cannot be beat in his weight class is GSP, but he lost along the way.

Regardless of how good Jones is, he will get beat sooner or later. After seeing how easily he can throw wrestlers down, how vicious his ground game is, and seeing him outstrike Shogun, it's easy to think there's no one to beat him. But I would place money down to say that a LHW currently on the UFC roster can and will beat him.

#36 ·
Yes, this is annoyingly similar to the whole 'Machida era' deal. Jon Jones is not, I repeat, NOT unbeatable. Yes, he has looked nothing short of outstanding. But he is in with the big boys now. I am aware that I am a little biased here but I can honestly say that with the right game plan and gas tank, Rashad has a chance to beat Jon Jones. He has a real chance here to end this nonesense once and for all. Of course it won't be easy, but you have a fighter, despite the siginificant reach/size disadvantage, has already potentially exploited a hole in JBJ game.

"You remember what I can do to you!" tweets Rashad. He knows Jon Bones probably better than Jones knows himself. All Jones has done is suggest how he could have "finished" Rashad. Notice how he talks about how he COULD'VE whereas Rashad talks about what he actually did DO. It's easy to say 'oh well I could have knocked him out but i was feeling generous'. Rampage could have knocked out Machida, and Penn could have sub Edgar. But they didn't get to that.

Anyways, Rashad has explosive power to match Jones, true or false? He is just as fast, if not faster and may have the better wrestling/grappling which means that Jones will have a harder time dictating where the fight takes place than usual. Rashad does not want to clinch with Jones otherwise he'll have a long night. Rashad needs to fight small to beat Jones. Use speed and get up close and personal to land some hooks then transition to takedowns he does so well and then lay on top of him for the rest of the round if thats what it takes to beat Jones.

#38 ·
At first I thought yes, but no Hendo has no chance. He'll actually might get TKOed for the first time in his career.

The fighter who could have posed a serious challenge to JBJ at one point of time is/was Chuck Liddell with a restored chin.

1.) He has long lanky arms and major KO power.
2.) Wrestling background which enables him to sprawl and or pop back up instantly.
3.) At one point in time a very durable chin. Sadly even Franklin was able to KO him with a short counter right.
4.) Mentally he was always willing to attack. He had the killer instinct.

Say what you will, but I think that would have been an interesting matchup once upon a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.