Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP = Best P4P

• Yes. GSP is the Best P4P! GSP GSP GSP!!! (and i also believe in Benny Hinn)

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • No. GSP doesn't have phenomenal striking or submission skills to finish fights.

Votes: 51 58.6%

GSP = Best P4P?

9K views 120 replies 47 participants last post by  SM33 
#1 · (Edited)
How can GSP be the best p4p? what about Anderson Silva? cos even Dana White thinks Anderson Silva is the best p4p..
If you compare their UFC record AS is clearly better.

AS
Win: 13, Loss: 0 (8T/KOs, 3 Submissions, 2 Decisions)
Won Fight of the Night (3 times)
Won Knockout of the Night (3 times)
Won Submission of the Night (2 times)
Most consecutive title defenses (Eight)
Most successful title defenses (Eight)
Most consecutive wins in the UFC (Thirteen)
Longest UFC title reign

GSP
Win: 16, Loss: 2 (5T/KOs, 2 Submissions, 9 Decisions :sarcastic11:)
Won Fight of the Night (2 times)
Won Submission of the Night (1 time)

If GSP is that great, why can't he finish fights? why does he have to admit that he fights "Safe"?
GSP says he is the or wants to be the best p4p in the world, yet he is too scared to Anderson Silva. :confused02:

Silva vs GSP is long overdue and we'll probably never see it :( only cos GSP is too chicken to face Anderson Silva and avoiding it hardcore...
http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/90723-superfight-gsp-vs-silva-conspiracy-video.html

See less See more
#54 ·
Really, that's all you could pull from that post?
I stopped reading after that retarded comment. Everything above it was fine.

The fact that I believe GSP would've tooled Shields if he could see out of both eyes?
That would have been fine, but you didn't say that. You GUARANTEED that GSP would have FINISHED Shields. That's just stupid

#57 · (Edited)
I like GSP because he is the nullifying King, he can completely shut down his opponent and then work on him. I like Yushin Okami because he is also a fighter who can nullify their opponent. It might be a snoozer watching fighters fighting off their game, but its an effective way to fight and win. Anderson Silva cannot do the same, he cannot nullify opponents as well and leave them confused and disoriented, he just knocks them out cold and his superior reflexes prevents damage. :thumb02: Silva fights in almost a "kill or be killed" way, you bring it and I bring it we will see who is better. While GSP tries to put you at a stalemate before he works you silly, almost like a "chess match". I like both ways of fighting and dont find GSP or Okami "boring" or Silva "clowning" when he shows guys mercy by prancing around.

#63 ·
I can't believe the so many people voted on GSP, considering most people posted in this thread believes AS is no1.

Maybe its not surprising since many GSP fans seem to believe he is some kind of God. :confused02:
http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/90731-gsps-trainer-st-pierre-about-big-hell-get.html
GSP would beat every MW at his current weight in my opinion. He would also beat most of the LHW's and even some of the HW's with his current weight. People don't understand how good he is.
Horrible post, not going to bother wasting time arguing with you.

I know what I'm talking about. I do think GSP can beat every middle weight. Anderson Silva isn't even one he has to worry too much about. It's guys like Okami and Sonnen he needs to worry about. Bigger stronger wrestlers would be the ones who threaten him most.

In LHW GSP can still beat plenty of them. "WHAT! Even though the fighter is smaller he can still win!?"

Yes he can. GSP would beat all the LHW's who were bad wrestlers. He would take them down very easily and and win by submission or decision. Don't you guys think he would beat guys like Houston Alexander, Bonner, Thiago Silva, probably even Randy Couture and Shogun? I know I do.

And for the HW's... He would beat Kongo at least. There's plenty of HW's he would beat by taking them down over and over and outscoring on the feet. I think he actually matches up very well against Big Nog. He's big, slow, and has bad stand up. GSP would outscore him on the feet for sure. I don't think he would be able to take GSP down, but GSP could take him down. That may be a bad Idea though.

So that's what I think. I don't feel like checking this thread a ton so if you agree with me then back me up.
I just hope we get to see Anderson Silva vs GSP in near future, so we can put an end to this nonsense.

#64 ·
GSP > Silva on p4p rankings.

The # of finished fights is irrelevant in the end, because even though GSP has been unable to finish some of them, he has still dominated all of them and unlike Silva doesn't have a noticeable weakness in his game. Also, GSP has avenged all of his losses, Silva hasn't. Now I am not saying that Silva can't beat Okami and Chonnen(?) (too lazy to check the guy's name, talking about the guy who subbed Silva with flying heel hook), but in GSP's case there are no IFs like that. :)

Either way like it or not, but both stats and logic put GSP #1, Silva is close second though.

#65 ·
What about the fact Silva has moved up in weight and GSP hasn't? Definitely affects their p4p status imo and is the factor that puts Silva slightly ahead. Avenging losses to two guy that Silva would (and in the case of Okami will) own easily now means nothing to me.

Either way it is a very close choice based on personal opinion.

#71 ·
FORGET LOGIC.

FORGET STATISTICS.

FORGET FACTS.

ANDERSON SILVA VS FORREST GRIFFIN is all any body needs to see. I've never seen a performance in mma quite like that before and I don't think I'll ever see one quite like it again.

It was like Watching Neo fight the three agents at the end of the first Matrix.

"You're saying I'll be able to dodge bullets?"

"No Neo. I'm saying when the time comes, you won't have to".

Reactions: Ape City
#77 ·
I think GSP is the P4P best. Mostly because he doesn't really have a weakness (perhaps his chin).That doesn't change the fact that he is completely unwilling to take any risks whatsoever. He refused to attack Koscheck and Shields (Jake Shields for crying out loud!!!). He won't risk losing to Silva. He will just stay in his comfort zone dominating one lesser fighter after another in the most drawn out, risk free fashion possible. He is the Floyd Mayweather of MMA (except he is a really nice guy).

#78 · (Edited)
Well i dont think he is a really nice guy but totally opposite, anyway.. "he doesn't really have a weakness"? Did you see his face after Shields fight? Looked much worse than AS's face after Sonnen fight.. would be interesting to see GSP standing up against Alves, Hardy, etc. :)
He doesn't have great striking skills to finish people standing up, if you think he dose :confused02: well he is too scared to take any chance and fights "Safe" all the time. And unfortunately he doesn't have skills to submit people after a takedown. He was on top of Hardy for like 24mins, GSP didnt want to stand with him and had no problem taking him down. I'll give GSP some credit, he did "try" to submit Hardy and had plenty of chances but thats when he displayed great Black Belt BJJ skills. :sarcastic11:

#79 ·
I look at it this way, when you consider the quality of the divisions, GSP is probably the pound for pound best fighter.

If we see them fight for Silva's title I think GSP wins that fight because he's the only man in the UFC with better wrestling than Chael Sonnen.

Im just not sure how effective Silva's BJJ would be against GSP. I cant use the Sonnen fight as a example, Sonnen is notoriously known for poor submission defense. Though I think Silva has good BJJ skills he hasn't shown us the type of high level BJJ he would need to Sub a GSP or a Jake Shields IMO and I dont think he can stop the takedowns.

#85 ·
Whether you like GSP or not he is probably the P4P best fighter simply because there is no hole in his game, no one else can control and manipulate a fight like he can, he doesn't finish enough fights but the truth he doesn't need to, he can control the fight and win that way.

I always thought GSP was too nice, every interview or video i saw of him he just seemed overly nice but after UFC 111 when he did not break Hardys arm i am convinced that he is just a really nice guy, like to the bone nice. It's remarkable that somebody who fights for a living can be as nice as GSP is, he's a credit to Canada and the human race even if he was an Englishman i think i would name my son Georges - that's how nice GSP is.

#87 ·
Not sure why anyone would have Jones as the p4p best, lets see if he can defend his title a few times first.

You cant rank fighters p4p on what they might do, its what they have already done, GSP and Silva can be the only candidates with everyone else is someplace behind.

#89 ·
Anderson is my personal P4P no1 but you are blind if you cant see that the general opposition GSP has faced over the last 3 years has been higher.

Whilst Anderson was fighting Cote, Leben, Maia, Lutter and Leites GSP was fighting a prime Hughes, BJ, Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.

ATM GSP's win resume is 2nd to no-one, if Anderson continues to add names like Belfort, Okami etc to his resume which he is perfectly capable of overtaking GSP though.

#91 ·
So why did you leave out Hendo, Sonnen, Franklin, Nate, Griffin (former LHW Champion).

And didn't include Serra or Hardy in GSP's list?

It's all relative really.. they pretty much fought the same calibre of fighters. It depends on what you rate higher and which Fan you are.

#93 ·
P4P is simply a fantasy, its not like it means anything and its totally subjective. IMO most the people you see ranking fighters p4p are just ranking there favorite fighter.

So you take the fighters and you "pretend" they all are in the same weight class and about the same size bla bla then you come up with who's the best fighter, its spose to emphasize skill over size. To me there is nothing legitimate about the pound for pound ranking because its fundamentally flawed in a million different ways.

Im saying (like I always do) we kick pound for pound down the road or at least add a mano a mano ranking. mano a mano means fist to fist and basically who would win if you ignored weight classes, at least that ranking would have some validity.

#92 ·
I'm not saying Anderson hasn't fought great fighters he has just fought a few less good ones. With the exception of Hardy GSP has fought world class guys every fight in the last 3 years. Which to me makes his resume slightly more impressive. P4P is a subjective thing though so you'll never get a definitive answer on it.

#94 ·
World Class? Maybe world class wrestlers in terms of MMA, and one "world class" striker in Alves. A division isn't so stacked if there are 2-3 guys beating up on everyone else. A division isn't stacked when there is no real parody. That's a misconception.

Concerning what P4P means to me, it just means how good a fighter is compared to another fighter from another division, obviously. What determines that is how dominate are they in their respective divisions. The reason why this doesn't work to much is because the competition at every weight class is different in terms of skill sets. It's not like boxing where everyone has one skill set and that's punching.

#102 ·
P4P rankings are flawed because the fighter may be able to physically lose/gain weight in order to make a fight but he may not be able to perform to his optimum at said weight.

GSP-Anderson Silva is the perfect debate, if Silva was to come down to 170 and lose people might say he wasn't able to handle losing so much weight and that it was unfair, also if GSP moved upto 185 people and lost people might say is not big enough for the weight class.

Personally i wish we would forget about P4P cos the concept is shit.

#104 ·
P4P rankings are flawed because the fighter may be able to physically lose/gain weight in order to make a fight but he may not be able to perform to his optimum at said weight.

GSP-Anderson Silva is the perfect debate, if Silva was to come down to 170 and lose people might say he wasn't able to handle losing so much weight and that it was unfair, also if GSP moved upto 185 people and lost people might say is not big enough for the weight class.

Personally i wish we would forget about P4P cos the concept is shit.
And thats why p4p has nothing to do with moving in weight or at least not much.

For example, Aldo can stay at 145 and go undefeated for the next 4, 5 years.. then he is the p4p king if Anderson and GSP start losing of course, otherwise they would of course be still ahead.

But if a guy at LW goes as well undefeated for the next 4, 5 years.. same as Aldo, but he also moves up and fight at WW for the title or just competes there as well, then he is of course ahead of Aldo.

Thats why Anderson is ahead these days, but there are also other factors like how easy they make it look and so on..

#118 ·
I dont get it. Ok AS looks bigger when he is at 205, im sure GSP would look bigger when he is at 185, irrelevant as far as p4p goes.
A ufc 129 video blog AS says he is 197 (not cutting or anything) GSP before either hardy or koscheck or someone was 194 - there was a thread about this i can pull it up if you want me to). Please note GSP trains 24/7 whereas silva does take brakes. GSP has literally minimal body fat 365/yr and is certainly skinnier than AS, and therefore has more muscle per pound.
It really doesnt matter 'how big' AS looks when he has fought, but using facts to back up your opinion.
If AS is 197 now and GSP say is 195 pre-fight and they both cut down to 185, how can you say GSP has an advantage? Yes silva has a bigger frame (just like different fighters at the same weight??!!) but I would bet a large amount of money that GSP can easily outlift AS (seriously anyone doubting this??). These differences happen all the time to fighters in the same weight class (for example nate diaz and mcdonald).
People make a big tadoo about how GSP is at such a disadvantage and I wish people wouldnt make this excuse. However the fight goes down these guys ARE evenly matched and whoever wins it would be the p4p best.

#119 ·
Anderson Silva can say he is a Leprechaun but that doesn't make it so.

Anderson Silva and a guy who fought most of his career at LHW and HW.

That is a LHW and one that struggled to make weight for that fight.

That is against Hendo who prefers to fight at 205 because of finding the weight cut hard. Notice Silva looks considerably larger. Take into consideration Silva is slouching while Dan is standing straight.

I really don't get how people think that Silva is not walking into the cage at well over 200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.