Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Plasma

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  alex19 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am living up to being an odd person yet again...

I have a poll of sorts:

Have you ever given plasma?

Have you ever trained with significant blood-loss?

How do you feel when you loose a fair amount of blood?

The reason I ask is on tuesday I gave 24-ounces or so of plasma and 5-hours later after a 3-hour nap I went and trained at the mma gym.

I Know I was a bit disoriented right after giving the plasma, and extremely hungry. I smashed a foot-long chicken breast sub from subway along with 4 cups of water from their mini water-cups.

When I got to the gym I let my instructor know what I had done prior.

Oddly enough...I didn't really feel all to fatigued when I did a mma conditioning session of 10- 100 yard sprints, 3x 30-second tractor-tire upends, a ladder of 10 tire upends...8...6..4..2, 3x 30 second standing tire press, 3x3 twenty-five yard tire drag races, and 3x3 twenty-five tire upend races.

Then I proceeded straight into jiu-jitsu. I am pretty sure I felt fine during the 90-minutes of work on that.

Would anyone have any tips/suggestions as to why this would not present any issues?

I am seriously contemplating doing this on a regular basis to simulate "blood-loss".

In my mind which may be a bit sadistic at times tells me if I can operate under stress that is caused by the lack of blood in my body then if I go and fight and loose a little bit of blood then I won't feel the affects near as quick if I didn't?

See less See more
#3 ·
I've never given plasma. I've never trained with a "significant" amount of blood loss. First time I got my nose busted, I lost as much blood as would be expected I guess. Splattered enough blood on me that I threw out the shirt and shorts I was wearing. Never trained after having given any fluids.

To be honest, it didn't seem that bad. I didn't feel light headed or anything from the loss of blood. The bad part of it was the initial shock (shit hurt, yo), and then not being able to breath out my nose.

I can only imagine as to why you weren't fatigued. And I'd imagine that it was because you're young and resilient. And if you've given plasma in the past, your body may have been a bit use to it. I'd say, if you want to give plasma then do so because it's a good thing to do. If you're going to do it just as a means of oddball training, I'd avoid that thinking. I would guess it will eventually catch up with you or burn you out slowly over time. While it may help with preparing you for blood lost in a fight, it won't help you to get burnt out or eventually fatigued in training. Better off being 100% in training, I think.

I'm no doctor though, I'm really just spitballing here. Maybe someone with some actual medical information or more experience can enlighten us.

-North

#4 ·
Well, right now as of last tuesday was the first time I gave the plasma for some extra cash.

I don't necessarily want to use it as an odd-ball training method but if it is useful and I'm paid to do it in a sense why not reap the benefits right?

One person I talked to was suggesting that it could have helped because you are tossing out old for new.

@north, I am required to bring a blood rag to class from now on...whenever I am rolling I spill from my nose at least once during the night if I am lucky.

On my last jujitsu session I poured out on 4 separate occasions, the last of which left me looking like "Scarface" from batman but my left portion of the face was covered in my own blood.

I am getting used to the loss of blood but anything that helps calm the nerves is always beneficial.

#5 ·
I've never heard of someone losing anything that would be considered a significant amount of blood while striking or rolling. I've heard of a few scrapes to the face from the gi for newbies, but nothing like what I would call "spilling." I think the fact that its something that sounds so foreign tells me you should probably took at your training tactics and reevaluate.

On the other hand. Blood loss means less perfusion to the tissues, which would help with endurance. Idea! Perhaps you should remove almost all your blood during training into a bucket, to simulate a lack of perfused tissues, then drink it out of the bucket to return the liquid to the body.

#6 ·
Leave it to me Squirrel to challenge your might knowledge base haha!

I would rather not drink the blood that is on the mats, so that is out of the realm of possibility.

The reason I say spill is I don't even know it's coming out of my nose, but after a very short time my face can get covered in my own blood and a small pool of it will be on the mat.

I have a long sleeve shirt that is no longer gray but tie-dyed.

#7 ·
I've given plasma before and went to football practice immediately after, but it's still not a good idea. I'd give it a day or so to just be safe if you've never given plasma before.

During football practice I found myself to be very tired, not sick or light headed, just very drained and exhausted.

Just to be safe I would take a day off of training and do some light cardio or work on flexibility instead.

Hope this helped, Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.